AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

And ... sorry about changing seats on you. I had flatulence.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Paltrow was great. Interesting how she was always barefoot so she didn't tower over RDJ.

Yeah, Hawkeye was underused and, really, it'd be hard to know where he came from if you weren't watching Thor very closely he didn't get nearly as established in the MCU as BW did.

I also agree that Thor was under used in this movie to some respects. A "dullard" I don't know if I agree about that the most "dullard moment" he had was during the arguing scene when everyone may have been under some influence of Loki's scepter. Other times he was pretty good. I just think his character got reset-buttoned as nothing in this movie really changed his character, his status-quo or anything. He came and then he went.

CA emerged as a leader of the team, Tony learned that he's capable of self-sacrifice (the ending echoing the argument he and Cap had), Banner learned more to accept and control The Hulk, even BW dealt with her issues somewhat and worked more into the "soldier role." Hawk, I dunno, way underused so not much changed with him.

Thor? Nothing really changed. He's pretty much the same as he was at the end of his own movie, even trapped back in Asgard.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

For the type of movie it was and all the characters it had to integrate, this was a surprisingly good movie.

Loved that Hulk left-handed sucker punch of Thor... :lol:

Interesting hint at things to come, too.

4. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I don't think it was space. I think it was The Negative Zone.

5. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Well, I think we can all take a deep breath and thank the appropriate deity (Odin) that Loki's still alive.

If he didn't make it out, I'd have my hands full planning a big assed wingy dingy memorial thread. :angel:

6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Except for Thor-as-dullard, pretty much agreed all around here.

7. Trekker4747

So a greasy-haired, chisel-faced scrawny guy is considered hot?

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

You expect the ladies to go for Thor, the generic blond? :p

9. Trekker4747

I'm not sure the "generic blonde" trope translates to men. But, yeah, I'd expect them to go for the muscular accented man, or the suave egomaniac, or even the other chiseled blonde guy.

The "Loki Love" seems... Odd. Not sure what the attraction is there (even going with we're talking about Hiddleston and not Loki himself who effectively calls BW "the c-word" and wants to destroy all of humanity.)

10. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, definitely not down with the "Thor as dullard", either. I thought he was great, as was everyone else here. They all had unique roles to play, as very few (like Joss) and this cast can make it plain.

Avengers rocked. Great movie and easily one of the best superhero films ever.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor was great but his appearance explanation was a little Worf in the TNG movies.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Not really, we know exactly how he got there and obviously why he was sent, we knew Odin wouldn't sit idley by, but had limited means to send help to Earth. Makes a lot more sense than Worf ever did.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a throw away line(maybe) that Loki questioned "What dark magics did Father have to summon to bring you here?"

Now maybe that one little line will be revisited in Thor 2? Did Enchantress have anything to do with this, helping Odin perhaps?

14. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it again last night and picked up a lot of little things that I missed the first time. I didn't sit all the way through the credits the first time; the post-credit scene was awesome.One thing that bugged me was JARVIS. Paul Bettany does the voice, but about half the time it sounds like David Schwimmer trying to do a British accent.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Odin's Sceptor, we've seen the sort of power he wields with it and his arrival by it on the FG homeworld to chastise Thor.

I see no reason to believe it was anything other than him using to the sceptor's power to send one person on a one way trip to Earth with Heimdall's help to "aim".

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I thought that was just Whedon's foot fetish manifesting again. :lol:

Yeah, but then what we saw of him didn't make him out to be very interesting, anyway. I mean, he spent half the movie as a more or less silent slave to Loki.

Yeah, when he was arguing with everyone, that was a bit silly. His mouthing off about humans was something that might have made more sense in his own movie, before he learned humans were worth protecting and all that. But, I guess we can chalk it up to the scepter.

It's too bad his best line ("He's adopted") is so out-of-character. I don't think he cracked wise the rest of the movie. :(

Good summary. I wasn't sure if Chris Evans had the charisma to work as leader in a team with such strong personalities, but I think it actually worked better in that he is so forthright and earnest. The people around him know he doesn't have some hidden, self-serving agenda--what you see is really what you get.

I really enjoyed Loki's portrayal here, too. He wasn't your standard villain, doing evil for evil's sake. Seemed he was caught between his own ambition, thirst for revenge, and powers much more dangerous than himself. Although one wonders why he was so afraid of the Chitauri when they turned out to pretty much be chumps. :lol: I dunno, maybe they're more powerful in their home dimension.

17. Trekker4747

From what I remember Odin used the Bifrost to get to Jotunheim. ... Hey... What happened to his horse in those scenes?!

Well, I figure that played a lot into it too. ;) But I noticed on repeat viewings that if GP was in heels she'd be quite a bit taller than RDJ which wouldn't look right.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It vanished when they all came back through, which I sort of took to mean that the horse was a manifestation and that the staff took him there on this holohorse, but the Bifrost brought them all back. Which would also add to his fatigue and the need for the Odinsleep.

Odinsleep, ugh sounds like Adam West meets Norse Myth.

19. Trekker4747

Doesn't he need to go into the Odinsleep once a year or something like that? Why is it treated as sort of a big deal/like he's dead when he enters it?

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not that frequent but it's treated with reverence on the off chance that, like a coma, he may not emerge.