So, in the final analysis......

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ThePlumsofWrath, Dec 24, 2009.

1. ThePlumsofWrath

ThePlumsofWrath Commander

....is the Trek universe worse off than it was 3 years ago?

Did Abrams Trek destroy Star Trek or has he built a platform from which to create and sustain something we'll all care for and want to go on watching?

Did anyone feel truely 'raped' or can they now concede that they overreacted to the whole notion?

Was there no end of overreaction to the new USS Enterprise?

Were the actors parodies of what we had seen before?

Was it as bad as some people made out it would be?

I loved it, I enjoyed it for what it was, a big budget blockbuster with amazing special effects. Was it as good as TWOK? No but it was better than any TNG film and it certainly would appear to have reinvigorated the franchise.

But does it remain in the conciousness of the general public? Keep seeing Trek toys in half price bins outside toy shops, does this mean anything? Perhaps there are longevity issues?

Things are certainly different BUT are they any worse or better?

That's the question. :confused:

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Massively better.

Three years ago, Trek was done - and deservedly so. It had become a repetitious bore that mattered only to trufans.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

No, it's better off. Didn't care for the story, but I liked just about every other aspect of production.

I don't know if I'll keep watching his movies, but I'm optimistic that Trek can be rebooted again and again and live forever.

I never overreacted. I waited for the movie, watched it, and had a fun time with my dad at the theater. The story wasn't at all engaging, but it was cool seeing Nimoy as Spock again.

No, there wasn't. I liked the ship.

No.

No.

I can't argue with that.

Much better now that the Berman-era endlessly churned-out "spinoffs" are history.

4. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No.
    Yes. Well, most of us.
    I didn't feel my childhood was raped. My reaction was mostly* positive.
    Yeah, me included. *I still do not entirely like the NuPrise design.
    I don't think so.
    Not in my opinion.
    Fair enough.
    Better.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree, the FUTURE is BRIGHT!!!!!!!

I like Trek's future, it's exciting!!!!

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Trek is way better off than it was. I would like to see more people reading Trek as well, but I think that people (I speak mainly of the young) don't read too much anymore because of the amount of electronic media out there.

7. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

I maintain -- pretty strongly -- that reports of Trek's "death" with the fall of Enterprise were greatly exaggerated. ENT and NEM were the victim of many factors, only a few of them writing-related.

This being said, we are certainly better off now than we were then. There's a little bit less stigma attached to the name of Trekkie, and I know a number of people who are now watching TOS, TNG, and even the latter three series straight through who a year ago wouldn't have stopped to watch five minute of a single episode. We're back in a big way.

Although... I have noticed that, despite Trek '09's huge box office success,
    that hasn't seemed to translate into a whole lot of new members for this board, my Trek RPG, or the audience numbers for my audio show, Star Trek: Excelsior (shameless plug: new episode premieres December 26th, only at StarshipExcelsior.com!). So it seems to me that, while we're in a much better position culturally, we are, within the fandom, more or less standing still.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

"You OK Franklin? How do you feel?"

"Young. I feel young." ;)

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

You can speak for yourself. For me it was purely writing related.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's far better off than it's been since DS9 went off the air. Abrams has accomplished exactly what Trek needed: a commercial, popular and artistic rejuvenation.

My only complaint is that one movie every couple years is not nearly enough! There is just no substitute for Star Trek back on TV. I doubt the movie characters would, or should, be on TV but another group of characters, set in the same era, with the same verve and excitement as Trek XI, would work just fine.

Don't fret about that. It ebbs and flows. The public is conscious of whatever is shoved in their face at any given time. Right now, they're focusing on Avatar and those chipmunks. When the next Trek movie is ready to be launched, Paramount will ensure enough public consciousness to give that movie the shot at success that Trek XI had (after that, it's all up to the movie).

An ongoing TV series could help with public consciousness, but it's not a vital element and providing marketing for the movies shouldn't be the motive for a TV series.

I never believed Trek was dead then, either, or that it had to go away for ten or fifty years in order to get rid of the "oversaturation" that supposedly was the problem. People are never oversaturated on good stuff they want to watch.

Writing was a major problem with both. ENT also suffered from airing on a network that was changing strategies away from its target audience, and from larger trends in TV forcing sci fi to become niche in order to survive (making basic or premium cable a better home for sci fi vs networks, where a niche audience is just too small to bring in the required ratings). NEM probably also suffered from everyone being so bored by the tedious TNG characters. The TOS characters just inherently have more zip to them.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It was on life support and a priest had been called.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It had a slight cough that some people interpreted as a death rattle. A little vacation in a sunny climate cleared that right up!!

13. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

At least it wasn't an STD...

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. Now will you all stop hovering over the patient!!

15. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

A new Trek was born with this movie. This is what future Trek movies will be like for the forseeable future. The old style Trek will still live in a future TV series. It costs too much money to do the kinds of things they do in the movies on a TV series.

16. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Three years ago, Star Trek was all but dead.

There is no question whatever that Trek XI brought the franchise back to life, and gave us hope for a bright future once again.

It was an excellent movie. And no - it did not 'rape my youth'....even though back in the 70's I came home from school every day to watch TOS reruns in the afternoon.

This is the most positive I've been about Trek since DS9 left the air.

17. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Trek as a business franchise is, at least for now, partiailly rejuvinated (movies), but the tv side of things is still dead and will remain so as long as Les "I hate sci fi" Moonives is in charge at CBS and/or Trek's tv rights remiain there.

Creatively, Old School Trek is dead. Trek moving forwards will flow from either the JJ-verse or some other new form of Trek.

And that's a damn shame because Manny Coto and the Reeves-Stevenses were about to bring us a GREAT Trek prequel before they got cut off at the knees...

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Coto was providing a reach-around for long-time fans in Season 4. There was nothing "great" about most of it beyond masturbating the hard-core.

But then, everyone involved understood that the show was being cancelled at the end of Season 4.

19. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

In your opinion. That of the elitist, self-loathing fan that turns on something they were once proudly part of because it's the "kewl" thing to do...

Buzz was good and increasing and the writing staff was pulling out all the stops and cranking out the best Trek in YEARS. They just needed time, which Moonives and/or UPN wouldn't give them.

Drexler has been cited as having said (in his own blog) that as late as mid-season they thought they still had a 50/50 chance.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Geez what a question...I think the answer is obvious....

RAMA