Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Except... (and forgive me if I can't remember the comic) someone did an issue a couple of years ago where Foggy or maybe Ben Franklin points out that Hell's Kitchen is a great place to live because of Matt and it is shown to resemble the real world version - beyond that, Matt tends to inhabit a generic New York these days rather than anything but name-checking Hell's Kitchen'.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I just doublechecked to make sure Spiderman and Daredevil weren't the same studio at the time. Very good point.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So, people with netflix get awesome marvel related programming, and those of us who can't use it only get Agents of SHIELD. Well, now I can say I outright hate Netflix. It used to just annoy me at times, but now its getting possibly great exclusive marvel programming. Is it that they couldn't find a actual TV station that wanted the shows? I'm betting none of this will ever make it to physical media like DVD's either. This is going to set a bad precedent if it succeeds. I can only hope it fails horribly.

4. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are plenty of ways you can see it.

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a bad thought, and given the proximity of Hell's Kitchen to Midtown, direct effects could've been in play.

6. kirk55555

I'm talking about being able to eventually see it legally. Obviously, depending on what your willing to do, you can see basically anything. I just don't like that there will almost certainly be no legal releases for this stuff for those of us without Netflix capability/people who buy shows on dVD. Hopefully they won't make enough money to be viable and force them to stop and just focus on television.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Television is a medium whose economic strategy is in serious jeopardy. Programs like this help account for people who don't watch commercials anymore. If these types of ventures fail (and by extension, all subscriber networks), we could easily end up with a scenario of no television in 10-15 years. After all, this method follows things like HBO and Showtime. If it were on those networks, would you hope it failed too?

8. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I'm sure there will be legal ways to watch the show on DVD, iTunes, and/or other streaming sites eventually. We just might have to wait a bit.

Personally, I'm hoping they'll do the same thing they're doing with Agents of SHIELD now, which is to make the episodes available on German iTunes within a day of its original US airing. (There's no Netflix in Germany.)

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm thrilled that we're getting a Daredevil show. I've always thought that would make a great series.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

A few weeks ago I was excited at the idea of more Marvel TV shows. After seeing AoS, I've changed my mind somewhat.

That's not to say that they couldn't surprise me, but I've not liked any superhero TV shows so far, and I really want to...

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I haven't watched commercial television in years. Don't have cable either. Netflix and Amazon Instant Video ARE television to me. I'm actually pretty happy with the on-demand business model. Helps me weed out all the crap.

12. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

The studios producing Netflix' original series are releasing them on dvd. Just like HBO/SHO/STARZ series are released on disc several months after they've finished their seasons. That same release pattern will be employed for NF shows. House of Cards debuted in February exclusively on the service, and the dvds are coming out this month. Same timeframe as usual. Then the studio will make it available on pay per view, and eventually, sell it to other outlets-but Netflix will be the only (monthly subscription) streaming company that'll have it.

If you don't subscribe to Netflix, you'll simply wait the same length of time that you would if you don't subscribe to HBO and want to see Game of Thrones. So enhance your calm and be well. The sky is not falling.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The sky is always falling so far as kirk55555 is concerned.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why in the world would the makers of a TV show want to keep it from getting to a wide audience? How would that profit them? Heck, most broadcast-TV shows don't make a profit until they get released on DVD (or in syndication in the old days). So of course these shows will get an eventual release on DVD, iTunes, or whatever.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I posted this in the "Daredevil back to Marvel Studios?" thread just over a year ago...

Of course, I was thinking movie properties rather than television, but they're still coming pretty close to my idea.:)

IMHO, they'd be foolish not to include a cool character like Ben Urich in this project.

16. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I want Joey Pants to play Urich on the show.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I hope we get a Daredevil show! :D

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

We will. That's the first of the four announced series.

19. kirk55555

If you say so. I hope we'd get DVD releases, but if they're not willing to put the shows on television, that just seems to me to be a big sign that they probably hate physical media as well as television and will keep it only online. Why would netflix let them put it on DVD? It would only cost them money, and if Marvel is makiing shows with them, I'm assuming that Netflix has the final say. Even if they don't, the whole situation just screams online only.

Basically, if they're so cheap/hate TV so much that they're using netflix to air the shows, I have no faith that they'll even be willing to spend the money to make the DVDs. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised if these shows never get a physical media release.

TV isn't going anywhere. Too many people watch it that don't/can't get access to stuff like netflix. TV won't be going anywhere anytime soon, not until someone creates completely free 100% internet access for the entire world. Until then, TV is safe.

As for HBO and Showtime, I've never had them and never would (why spend so much money to watch movies you can see on dVD and random dumb sounding tv shows?) so I couldn't care less if they failed, not that there is any chance of that.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can guarantee you that the companies that make the shows for Netflix don't hate TV or physical media, they are simply taking advantage of a new distribution method. The Netflix style of media release is the next big thing as far as this kind of stuff is concerned, so it makes sense that Disney/Marvel would want to get in on it. I've had Netflix for a couple years now, and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon, so this makes me very happy.