THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Or maybe she knew that once she'd made the odds more even, Kirk could handle the rest himself. Maybe she figured that if he couldn't take Sulu down himself, she was backing the wrong horse, so she left him the opportunity to prove his worth.

Or maybe she was late for her manicurist appointment.

2. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

No way to tell how it is powered. It did wipe out a lot of people in a short time right before Spock became Emperor

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would help if there was at least a "catch" to using this thing - a side-effect that would prevent overuse. Or at the very least, an indication of the *limitations* of the device.

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Guys, you're overthinking it. As a story element, it exists to represent the temptations of unchecked power. Don't get hung up on specifics; they are ultimately irrelevant.

5. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

HERESY

:lol:

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

We are over analysing. How much was it used on the MM show, not that much.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished it a couple days ago. At first I was annoyed at the fact that I somehow missed that it was a reprinted edition of something I'd already read (I usually only buy books once), but then I read the authors notes on the expanded version and I relaxed. What the hell, more Mirror Universe stories can only be a good thing.

And the new version was an enjoyable read.

8. David Mack

^ Glad you decided it was worth the second look. :)

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has put together any kind of a list of which scenes are new? Other than the scenes with Carol Marcus, and the scene with the Empresses Hoshi Sato (Empresses Hoshi Satos?), I'm not sure what is and isn't new. I haven't read the original version since it first came out, so I only remember the overall baisic plot.

10. David Mack

^ If you weren't able to tell which was new material and which was from the original version, I will take that as both a compliment and as a confirmation that I did my job correctly. :)

11. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

"The fall of my empire will mean the end of all yours." -:vulcan:

I love Mirror Spock. That whole scene is fantastic.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I love that line as well. Here's hoping we'll eventually get Rise Like Lions which will hopefully confirm it. :techman:

13. Drewmax

Drewmax Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just finished Sorrows of Empire this morning and I must say it was a delight to read. I loved the concept of the story, continuing from Mirror, Mirror and dealing with the fall of the Terran Empire with such astute and well woven writing; from all stretches of the Trek Universe, the characters, names, places and eras, were all there and fitted perfectly. This book is truly a treat to fans of continuity, which is a nice piece of literature Canon. I loved the inclusion of both Matt and Will Decker, Gorkon and Valeris, even down to the mention of Sarek's oncoming Bendii Syndrome. I loved the little nuggets of suggestion leading towards the various refits of the Enterprise and crew uniforms. The tale has darkness resonating at its heart which is something I love in my books. To seeing the conviction of Spock foreseeing the oncoming downfall of the Empire and the enslavement and destruction of its people was very moving; the way Spock faced his peril with Marlena at the end as the palace was besieged the last few pages were riddled with grief and echoed the plight of the Jews being sent to concentration camps. I have myself just gotten into Star Trek literature and have found this book compelling me to read more novels, starting with more of the Mirror Universe novels. I would like to congratulate David for this splendid piece of fiction. I would also like to ask him a question - as an author what was your favourite part of the book to write?

14. David Mack

^ Thanks for your kind words, Drewmax — glad you enjoyed the book.

As for your question, the part of the book that was the easiest and most enjoyable to write was the chapter titled "A World in Transition," the present-tense accounts of Spock's movement spreading across Vulcan. A close second, for the impact it had on me as I wrote it and the effect I think it has on many readers, is the final chapter, "An Army of Shadows."

I hope you enjoy the other Mirror Universe books — and if you like a touch of darkness at the core of your Star Trek fiction, let me shamelessly plug the Star Trek Vanguard series, which I developed with editor Marco Palmieri and have written (in alternating turns) with Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

And if you all want something *really* dark, try Mirror Vanguard. :devil:

(The as-yet sole appearance of which is in "The Black Flag", a story in the collection Shards and Shadows.)

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mirror Vanguard and it's crew members and residents do play a role TSoE too.

17. Manisphere

Manisphere Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't stop in often, really, but I had to for this one. I'm kind of glad I didn't read the novella or shortened version before this tome. For me the story was seamless and quite frankly, one of the strongest ST novels I've ever read. It was tremendous. In short, I freakin' loved it!

I loved how I kept having to consult both memory alpha and beta to reacquaint myself with stories in the shows, the novels and the movies. And for me it was nice to read a Trek book that wasn't taking place in the established Trek Prime or current continuity. I was guessing at things until the last page.

I could sit down and really think out each and every strength to this book but right now all I have the time and inclination for is this, Wow, Mr. Mack! You entertain me no end!:)

18. David Mack

^ Thanks, Manisphere! Glad you enjoyed the book. :)

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished the expanded edition. I really, really enjoyed it, and loved the additions.

It was particularly interesting to see what a darker turn Spock takes in the expanded edition. His declaration of how he should be remembered was chilling.

Having said that -- there was a certain economy of narrative to the original edition, a certain, pace, that felt missing here. And in some ways, I did enjoy it more when Spock seemed a bit less, well, villainous.

But, that by no means is a bad thing -- the expanded edition does more to challenge the audience's preconceptions about who is a hero and who isn't, about what the "right" thing to do truly is. And from that standpoint, the expanded edition is therefore a more complex work -- more didactic, in a way. It doesn't just let you fall into your preconceptions that Spock is "good" and his enemies are "bad" and therefore anything Spock does to them is justified.

Either way, though? A wonderful, brilliant story.

20. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spock's revelation of how he wants to be remembered was more of a surprise than chilling. It was pretty much stated that he said that with the hopes that the people in the future would not allow another tyrant to come to power. I think it's all part of Spock's plan. In order for his Federation-type government to come and for their enemies to fall, he has to be seen as a villain. Despite his reforms and the 'noble cause' he had, he must be seen as an evil person rather than a good one.