The 11-foot TOS Enterprise model-

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by jayrath, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting. Perhaps that had some bearing on the unnecessary details added to the 1701?

Good luck, and I hope you and team are successful in giving this artifact of culture the proper restoration to its 1960s state.

2. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I have to disagree. I watched a few of the TOS-R episodes on Netflix (The Doomsday Machine, The Ultimate Computer and some others) and thought they did an excellent job with the CGI effects. I never saw the God-awful gridlines which the original TOS model currently shows.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In fact the CG model used in TOS-R was in no way based on the Miarecki restoration and did utilize quite a few authoritative references.

The presence of a couple of panel lines on the hull is not evidence to the contrary. :cool:

4. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:wtf: :confused: :brickwall:

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

You are not kidding.

6. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Okay, the CGI model differs that some gridlines are lighter than others and it has patchwork plating creating unique Aztec patterns. Is this better, worse or just equally dumb?

Bob

7. MarsWeeps

I was mainly referring to the underside of the saucer section which looks horrendous on the original TOS model and absolutely nothing like the TOS-R CGI Enterprise, which is gorgeous on the screen.

[​IMG]

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Uh, you do know the current paint job isn't what the model looked like in it's prime?

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

He DID say: I never saw the God-awful gridlines which the original TOS model currently shows.

10. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This means the gridlines were scored into the plastic hull with something pointy or a blade? :wtf: Say it ain't so, Joe.

The TOS-R virtual model is looking better and better. Perhaps that model was the "preservation" spoken of in our ancient prophesies.

11. MarsWeeps

Yes, that's my whole point. If you read my whole post and the one that I was quoting, you would know that.

12. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The more I see that photo, the madder I get. Those lines are ridiculous. Looks like a starship's version of chicken pox.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I know the feeling.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

With that in mind, let me recommend Gary Kerr, who helped in the disassembly of the 11-footer for the Meirecki restoration, and photographed, measured the model in subassemblies, and made copious notes. As I'm sure I've mentioned, he recently did all the design work on Polar Lights' new 1/350 scale model kit.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

16. AshGL1914

AshGL1914 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That would be the Gary I mentioned earlier. ;)

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

FANTASTIC! :techman:

18. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Big Question: Did Gary Kerr also provide the original parts for the Miarecki restoration (i.e. front nacelles and/or sensor domes and/or sensor dish) that had gone missing prior to the Enterprise's arrival at the Smithsonian in 1974?

Reason: There is this picture circulating of the floor positioned angled model beeing held by a gentleman with a moustache (prior to 1974). Somebody here at Trek BBS has identified the person in the picture as Gary Kerr.

I recently provided a link of a modeler's forum discussing the model and the same picture showed up. Some member of this forum claimed that the gentleman in the picture supposedly kept / safeguarded these pieces which was a wise precaution considering how the ship arrived at the Smithsonian...

Bob

19. Mr.AtoZ

Mr.AtoZ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am also shocked to see those exaggerated grid lines on the hull. The good thing about any scoring is that it can be filled in with epoxy or other material compatible with the hull. I truly hope the new efforts will bring our beloved ship back to its former screen accurate glory.

20. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gary did NOT supply any parts and is not the guy in the photo you speak of.

[​IMG]