Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours - Scott directing, in 3-D?

The original comic was quite good. It was set on a very eerie and atmospheric desert planet, and had a nice mix of horror and action like in the first two Alien films.

I can easily see how a quality director like Scott or Cameron could have made a scary, stylish, kickass movie out of it, that would have felt like a real movie and not just a marketing gimmick like the AvP movies.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Groovy. Thanks. :)

3. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Seems like he's eating 2001:Space Odessy there with the the open ended premise, and any other unassuming hapless franchises that come along.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Oh god no... I had high hopes for this movie but now it sounds less so.

Might as well go watch Mission to Mars.

6. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

You don't have to apologise to me. A board-wide apology might be in order though. However any perceived lack of cinematic taste in talking about these unrelated films lies entirely on you.

7. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since i have no self control when it comes to spoiling films, i read the supposed plot summary for Prometheus that've been lurking around.

If its accurate then i'm pretty impressed. The main plot is interesting enough by itself and the links to the Alien franchise pretty much answer every loose end generated by the first film.

Cinematic taste or lack thereof would infer that i've said anything positive about either of the AVP movies. But hey feel free to keep overreacting to the existence of two bad films.

8. Deckerd

Didn't read it but you should put it in code anyway.

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

It's hard to spoil something that's a prequel.

10. Deckerd

Of course you're right. The whole film will be so predictable.

11. TheNatureRoy

TheNatureRoy Lieutenant Red Shirt

io9 claims the leaked synopsis is 'an old fake': http://io9.com/5863499/leaked-prometheus-synopsis-is-an-old-fake

12. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess it was too good to be true. Shame really, some of the ideas in the Possibly Fake summary were quite good.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Taking a look at those high-res pictures, this movie really does look cool. I think I'm actually interested, possibly even excited to see this movie.

14. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been avoiding all these synopsis and plot releases, whether they be real or fake, trying to go into it as open as possible. I already have 20 years of my own hypotheticals, you know.

The leaked trailer is indeed so tantalizing and yet full of crap. You can hardly see anything, the grammar errors. Hopefully we will get the real thing soon, please, please!

Back to Blade Runner for a moment. Why would MF's hair need to be died that horrible bleach blonde unless it was to akin him to the Batty series of Replicants? They worked on ships and mining in the outer worlds, which shoulds like Prometheus is going to have some ship out in the middle of nowhere snooping around LV-426. Why can't he be one of them?

Although, they are making no secret he is an android, which sort of reduces the odds he's going to be the surprise evil synthetic. My only other theory would be that Theron is also a robot, the surprise bad one, and MF's hair is blonde to match hers.

So many possibilities! I really hope Scott did right here. And oh, before I forget re Weylan Yutani, don't they also make an appearance in Soldier, which was akinned to at least being in the same universe as Blade Runner?

15. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Solider" is a guilty pleasure film of mine. It has flaws no question but I like it...the score is pretty good IIRC as well. I wonder what happened to the teaser trailer released. It was supposed to come out a couple of weeks ago but I guess the studio decided to pull it after it was leaked and will release it at a later date.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool interview. And yeah, it's sad the way his iconic Xenomorph has been watered down over the years. I DO think he's probably the one guy who could have made them seem truly terrifying again, but I completely understand him wanting to do something different.

And this movie already sounds about a thousand times more interesting and inventive than any of the sequels or spinoffs. Seriously, all those other directors could think of do to was have the aliens chase Ripley around some more? Or have them be hunted by Predators??

19. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I like it much better now that he put that spin on it and compartmentalized the aliens somewhat. This could be the start of a new franchise because of that, if he cleans it up a little. Higher beings should clean it up alot. There's alot of potential in the premise of a crazy theory being put out there about the gods and it could have plenty of follow up material as well which is always a good thing, as it breaches a new area of sci-fi that is full of fundemantal questions since aliens are really just another branch of the supernatural, paranormal and occult anyway. So there is overlap with real science and sci-fi of course.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral