The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Are these just the same damn ships that have been released over and over and over, or are there actually new molds?

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I haven't been able to confirm either way. I don't know just yet.

3. OdoWanKenobi

I didn't mean to come off confrontational. I just tend to roll my eyes at Hasbro when at least half of everything that the put out for Star Wars these days is just rerelease in packaging meant to pander to people's memories of their childhood.

4. cooleddie74

Nah, you didn't sound confrontational. You sounded concerned. I'm also getting tired of perpetually rehashed molds just so Hasbro can save a few tooling bucks and maximize the earnings of their shareholders.

I'm hoping things about these three new ships are new, but I just don't know. The TIE Interceptor might be the same mold that was used for the 2001 green-boxed Power of the Jedi ship and later on in the 2007-08 Anniversary Collection line.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So why are they putting out Red Three (Biggs) for the X-Wing?

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I kind of look at it like this--even though Hasbro may release the same figures and ships over and over again, each time is always going to be someone's first time getting them, and I think that's why they re-release so much stuff.

7. OdoWanKenobi

8. cooleddie74

Why? Or when?

If you mean when he'll be part of the very first wave of the new 3.75" Black Series line at the end of this coming summer and he'll be on store pegs to coincide with the Toys 'R' Us-exclusive Biggs X-Wing being released around the same time.

9. cooleddie74

I don't mind it as much (nor even care at all) when the rereleased figures and vehicles are very cool and a lot of fun. When it's sloppy repacks of figure molds from 2002 or 2005 that weren't exactly the best and most popular action figures with collectors and kids then? That's when the folks start complaining, facepalming and eyerolling and I can't blame them. I do the same.

If you're going to rerelease something, make it the best mold you have in your vaults. And if you can't, find one that comes pretty close. A spring-loaded, "spinning" Yoda that was kind of McDonald's Happy Meal cheesy and lame back in 2005 shouldn't be repacked six or seven years later and sold for almost twice its original retail price.

If you're going to repack an older Yoda, go with, say, the 2004 Vintage-style clamshell figure or the well-sculpted, fun ROTS Yoda that came with the cannon accessory. There've been quite a few that are pretty good if not great and much, much better than the one I mentioned earlier. Even kids can tell if a toy's subpar junk or not.

ETA: Just Breaking....the very first carded images of the four two-packs in the upcoming Saga Legends "Mission Series." These are aimed more at younger collectors and kids and have fairly minimal articulation, but the Clones have been getting some good reviews and word of mouth on some of the collecting websites as potentially great army building and diorama fodder, and these sets might possibly sell for as little as $9.99 each, making each figure in the set only five bucks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At least six of the eight figures pictured use completely brand new molds (the two Battle Droids appear to reuse the five-jointed mold used for four of the droids that came with the MTT Transport vehicle). All four sets are slated for widespread retail release towards the end of this coming summer or the beginning of fall, around the same time that the basic Saga Legends and Black Series figures also hit stores.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  10. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, I meant why, and I was referring to the X-Wing itself. Specifically, if this is the only X-Wing on the shelves (and I really have no clue if it is or isn't), why would they make the Red 3 version instead of Red 5?

A related question to your answer though, if they're releasing the Biggs figure, are they also going to release R2-Q2 in that line?

11. OdoWanKenobi

12. cooleddie74

I guess Hasbro just got a bug up its butt and wanted to do Biggs' X-Wing after all these years. I think part of it had to do with the plan for the brand new Biggs action figure that was in the works as early as the planning stages for the now-cancelled Droid Factory figure line and they thought it might be cool to get the new Biggs and buy his X-Wing from the original movie at roughly the same time. So they just took the most recent X-Wing mold, painted it up in Biggs-specific colors and there you have it: "new" fighter and in an awesome retro box that takes you back to 1979 if you were alive then and old enough to collect and play with the original toys.

As per R2-Q2, there are no plans to make him at present. We got Red Leader's astromech (R2-X2) back during the 2009-10 Legacy Collection line as well as a few years earlier in one of the online-exclusive astromech droid multipacks, but they've never done Biggs' droid as far as I can recall.

What do you guys think of the new "Mission Series" figures? I think I can predict what most of you will say based on past discussions of reduced-articulation figures, but I'm curious as to your takes on the new Saga Legends packaging and the choices of characters in these sets.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The high res images of Biggs' X-Wing looks like a brightly coloured Happy Meal toy. Hopefully they give it a dirty 'wash' to weather the paint job a little.

I can't get too excited about the Mission series. I may pick up the Vader one for the droid though.

14. cooleddie74

The Anakin/501st Clone set is piquing my interest right now, but I won't know for sure until I see these in person and get to hold them in my hands. The sculpts look impressive, but the first promotional photos can sometimes be misleading and the final store product could look less interesting.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. cooleddie74

I'm a smidge unimpressed by the paint apps in the promotional image, too. I don't think it looks bad, but I'm hoping the final retail version coming out of the factory looks a little bit better.

This is going to be a Toys 'R' Us exclusive, but since it doesn't have any pack-in figure nor any appreciable electronic features than I can detect upon glancing at the packaging I'm hoping that the price is kept to a reasonable minimum. It's TRU and they love a good, meaty markup on their exclusive items, but they'd do good to not slap an exorbitant price on this thing. Part of the reason this exists is to be a companion ship for the brand new Biggs action figure, but if it winds up costing more than a lot of parents and collectors are willing to shell out then you're going to get a lot of Biggs figures that don't have an X-Wing to pilot or have to settle for piloting an older one.

17. OdoWanKenobi

Seems this announcement is killing their server. :lol:
    It seems to be working fine right now.

18. Admiral_Young

19. OdoWanKenobi

The plus side: It looks just like the character model from Beware the Batman

The down side: It looks just like the character model from Beware the Batman

20. Admiral_Young