On-Screen Documents

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Mar 6, 2014.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't work in light of ST'09. Surely Mitchell getting it wrong is easier?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Better he deliberately choose to use something other than Kirk's actual middle initial. Kirk himself never uses the R, and neither do his official records.

Romeo?

:)

3. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

4. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Sorry, but no. Gene Rodenberry's introduction to the TMP novelization has James Kirk state that his grandfather was infatuated with the Roman Emperor Tiberius, hence that middle name.

@ GNDN18

Have your superior officer call me in the morning. Most assuredly I'm not a piece of set decoration. :p (although I like to write about set decorations, too).

Bob

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure it does, they didn't name him Tiberius as shown. He declares himself to be James Tiberius Kirk as his rebellious side blossoms.

Still works with my idea.

(Not that I'm at all serious about this...:lol:)

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

And his first name of James came from his mother's "love instructor!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Roddenberry's good ideas were good and his bad ideas were terrible.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Especially now that we know - the real George Kirk was clearly not the kind of wuss who would cause his wife to need a "love instructor" (whatever the hell that means) in the first place. :lol:

9. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

maybe she needed to get up to his speed

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, in the real world, there are such things as sex therapists. Perhaps this is what Gene meant by this "love instructor" crap.

But somehow I doubt that George and Winona needed such a thing. ;)

11. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

you people made me get the book and chek. It's on Page 1.

Notice "first". I get it's meant as figurative, not a real instructor.

That or sex in the 23 century is a major composed of various disciplines.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Probably just the first guy she had sex with.

13. ZapBrannigan

Under the eye of NBC Standards and Practices and a less "liberated" American culture, Roddenberry did some great writing for Star Trek. True, he started off with a green Orion slave girl, but the rest of the series was played pretty straight. By 1979 however, when he was under far less restraint, he was again injecting off-color material into the franchise for no better reason than attention-getting.

The love instructor bit in his TMP novelization, plus Ilia's whole "overwhelming pheromones" deal, seemed awkward and stupid to me even as a hormonal teenager. I'll bet Star Trek II would have been sexed up if GR had stayed in control.

I like sexy movies as much as anyone, but that's not what Star Trek is best at, and not what I want to see Kirk and Spock dealing with.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Somebody had to keep Mrs. Kirk company while George was out protecting the Nine Realms.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Mrs. Kirk lives in a fantasy world.

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

In the 23rd century they teach sexual technique in school. You have to know it in case something goes wrong with the machine. ;)

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the TMP novelization, it's like pure Roddenberry for better or worse. Inspired by this thread, I started reading it a little last night. I love that Sulu is described as a "scrutable Asian".

18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That is the conflicting mindset of the ultra-progressive; GR's description for Sulu was patently offensive--certainly antiquated, but he likely thought he was being "respectful" of what he believed was some inherent trait of those from Sulu's background.

Stereotyped, misguided BS X 1000, but hey, its Gene (the hero who fought dastardly, woman hatin' NBC!), so he cannot be accused of being politically incorrect.

...yeah...

Then, TMP was the point where GR--in full revisionist mode--tried to explain away the make-up of the TOS Klingons...

19. ZapBrannigan

I'm pretty sure it already sounded backward and out-of-touch by 1979, but the actual cliche was "inscrutable Asian." The idea was that you never knew what those mysterious Asians were thinking. GR was calling Sulu "scrutable," reversing the cliche, as a little attempt at wit.

Another Roddenberry-ism that clanged on my ear occurred in an interview. I can't remember if it was on The Mike Douglas Show (I audio-taped his appearance as a kid) or if it's on the 1976 spoken-word LP (now CD) Inside Star Trek. He referred to "...the affection I have for Asians..." as the reason for Sulu's presence. It was one of the most paternalistic and self-centered (to say nothing of over-generalizing) statements I've ever heard.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's GR....but again, he thought he could say anything, since as the creator of Star Trek, he was the Super Most Liberal Understanding Man in the Universe, so his every view was acceptable.