Slip, slop, slap. seek and slide

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My fellow Australians will be familar with this little ditty that urges people to

Slip on a Shirt
    Slop on Sunscreen
    Slap on a Hat
    Seek Shade
    Slide on some Sunglasses

during summer.

Tomorrow I will be going to the beach for a Christmas picnic and I will be doing all five of these things and I was wondering how many of you take any of these precautions when out in the sun?

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The main precaution I take is to sit in the shade. :rommie:

I seldom use sunscreen, because I don't have much occasion to do so. Most of my time spent outdoors in the Summer is in the woods rather than the beach, so I don't get burned. The one time I got burned was when I went to Daytona Beach back in 85; sunscreen never occurred to me and I spent several days following in pain and itchiness.

3. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Fortunately, I tend to tan very nicely and easily, and I have never experienced any form of sunburn so far. That said, if I am to venture out for longer periods than normal, say if I'm on an outdoor trek in the mountains, I would consider using sunblock - but I haven't done that sort of thing for a long while.

While I don't mind going out in the sun, I do prefer to use a hat and sunglasses and of course a T-shirt - not only to protect my ugly face and eyes and torso from the sun, but also to reduce exposure of said body parts to the rest of the world. :p

4. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

In Arctic England we're doing this,

Slip on Ice
    Slop on Wintergreen
    Slap on a Wooly Hat
    Seek Warmth
    Slide on some more Ice

5. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Am I the only person here who had dirty thoughts when they read the title of this thread?

6. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Nah, it sounds just like a typical weekend at Castle Ravescene. :bolian:

7. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty good about the sun-precautions stuff. A couple of weeks back the optician told me that I have sun damage to my eyes which freaked me out a bit, especially since I am religious about wearing my shades and a cap in sunny weather (ie when I'm not in the UK!)

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I can tolerate about 10 minutes of direct sunlight, then I start to burn.
    I wish I could go out in the sun and get a nice golden tan, but alas, not possible.

J.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^ Same here. I think on the bottom of my foot, it reads, "Caution: Do Not Place in Direct Sunlight."

The Texas Version:
    Slip in the mud
    Slop on the BBQ sauce
    Slap your honey on the ass
    Seek beer
    Slide into a parking space

10. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I burn incredibly easily, so if I'm spending more than half an hour out in the sun, I follow as many of these as I can. Definitely sunscreen and a hat, at the least (and a shirt, of course). I also have a tendency to hide-out in the shade at outdoor events.

Of course, right now you have to make an effort to get a sunburn. ;)

11. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

I burn very easily, and my son inherited that not-so-lovely trait, so from about March through November, I usually have a tube of sunscreen in my purse. I don't always remember the hats, so I will put sunscreen on our scalps. My son hates that. ;)