MARVELS 2 IS A GO!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by captcalhoun, Aug 24, 2008.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Guess there can't be a Ruins 2, eh? ;)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know if I can accept the idea of a Marvels sequel without Alex Ross.

4. captcalhoun

5. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I'm not into the whole painting-as-comicbook-art thing in the first place, so I've never really understood why people are so excited with Ross's stuff.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't they already make this?

7. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to say I'm very excited about this. Although I'd like to see Alex Ross work on it, I think that I can still enjoy this story without him. I'd love to see a DC version of this story, though.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The thing that bugs me is the chronology. In the Marvel comics of the '60s, they more or less followed real time, or at least came closer than they do now; Peter Parker started out in high school and was going to college within a few years thereafter. And of course they treated their '40s comics as having taken place in the '40s. So it was possible to do Marvels as a period piece spanning the '40s through the '60s and have it hold together. (And in answer to RookieBatman, that was part of the appeal of Ross's photorealistic artwork; that plus the chronology gave the whole thing a sense of reality, of authenticity, like it was a living history.)

But by the '70s and '80s, we were deep into "Marvel time," where the characters barely aged and their past was on a "sliding time scale." Decades passed in the real world while only a few years passed for the characters, and their origins had already been retconned forward in time. So I don't see how this sequel can have quite the same sense of historical authenticity and internal consistency as the original.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^I was thinking the same thing.

I also wasn't too impressed with the one image on that page. It looked like a very traditional "comic booky" Spidey action pose. Ross did a great job translating what was on the pages of the original comics into something more naturalistic looking.

10. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No Alex Ross :(

11. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't bought a comic in 10 years-looks like that is all about to change...

I have the original issues and the numbered hardbound compilation signed by Busiek and Ross. I've got #0. I can't pass this up.

12. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Christopher, you do make an excellent point about the chronology of the story. Hopefully there will be a great way to still tell this story without making people confused over the telling of the story.

13. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

Oh no, they'll just rewrite it all to hell. They always do for the movies and have done so for every single marvel movie that has come out.

For some unknown and completely asinin reason, what's seen in the comics just can't under absolutely any circumstances be translated over to the big screen, despite the commercial success many of these movies have had.

14. captcalhoun

what have movies got to do with this comic-book?

15. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

Just messing with ya.

:devil:

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Same here!

I agree that the chronology will be challenging but I'm curious to see what Busiek can do with it. 70s and 80s Marvel is my favourite so I don't think I'll be able to pass it up, even if I have to get my Mom to go to the store in Ottawa and mail it to me in Romania!

17. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I've been a big fan of Busiek projects like Astro City and Marvels, and because of that I've always been surprised to find his regular superhero work so incredibly boring.

18. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

You should read Superman: Secret Identity, written by Busiek and drawn by Stuart Immonen. It's an Elseworlds story about a young man named Clark Kent, who's grown up basically in our world, with the misfortune of having the same name as a classic comic book character. The story's about what happens when he suddenly develops super-powers, and it's one of the best Superman stories ever, in my opinion at least.