The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah the quality of the figures was why I mostly passed on them.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Too many of the Playmates figures from the nineties had a G.I. Joe 1982 vibe to their design, and when you're eight years old in the Reagan era that's one thing and it's very cool. When you're in your twenties and an adult collector who demands a little more accuracy and more human proportions, not so much.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

That's something that big toy companies have to wrestle with--are they making rough & tumble toys for kids to play with or high-end collectibles for adults to put on display? Some would argue that the current state of the toy industry mirrors that of the comic book industry by focusing more on a steadily dwindling group of aging collectors (resulting in it becoming an expensive luxury industry). Others would argue that there's no such things as kids anymore, so the industry reflects that.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It's not exactly a line. Diamond Select is making one Wolverine figure based on the upcoming movie as a part of their long running Marvel Select line. They always use a slot in the line for a movie figure or two.

Moving on to the other comic company, I got my monthly Mattell club figures today. From DC Club Infinite Earths we get Elongated Man, and from Watchemn Club Black Freighter we get Dr. Manhattan.
    [​IMG]

I'm thrilled to finally have Elongated Man. He's an essential Justice League member, and long demanded by fans. It's too bad that the oversized figures were nixed this year, as he would have been perfect there. As it is, the only elongated piece we get is his arm. Oh well, it's still better than nothing.

Dr. Manhattan is a mostly naked blue guy. That's about all I can say. Of course, Mattel wasn't going to be bold enough to give us the Doc wearing what he wears for most of the book (nothing at all.)

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ralph looks awesome! So does Jon too...and your right it's not really a line for "The Wolverine" more like one or two figures (I've seen different versions of him) it's still better than the nothing we all thought we were going to get, and my point was really that we still got something out of it.

6. cooleddie74

I've never collected anything from Watchmen, but that Dr. Manhattan looks outstanding. They probably should have included a removable "diaper" of sorts that you can leave on or take off to reveal a Ken doll-like blue crotch with no genitalia, but the whole package still looks great.

No pun intended.

7. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I like the Green Lantern Stewie.

8. cooleddie74

Now that I'm aware Tom Servo's in the background of most of his photos I'm on perpetual Tom Watch. :p Spotted him!

9. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Got Fraction's Hawkeye: Volume One today. Little Hawkeye approves.

[​IMG]

10. cooleddie74

Nice. The thumb might be tiny, but it's pointed in the right direction.

That didn't sound right.

11. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I have six of the DC Comics figures that came out with the Watchman movie. They have almost no articulation but they are absolutely stunning. The sculpts are amazing. That version of Dr. Manhattan is also clothed! I guess people are a little afraid of nudity and toys. They must be thinking of the children.

12. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, I've gotta hand it to Matty. They've been knocking it out of the park with this year's sub. Saint Walker, Phantom Stranger, and Elongated Man have all ben real winners in my book. Hopefully, we can avoid another fiasco like last year's Rocket Red. Larfleeze is next month, along with the subscriber exclusive Monsieur Mallah and the Brain. I can't wait for those, even if Mallah is going to pretty much be a straight up Grodd reuse.

It's a Funko vinyl Green Lantern. They make a whole bunch of pop culture characters in the block-headed super deformed style. I was given it as a Christmas gift, last year.

I've never done it on purpose, but from now on I totally will.

Awesome! I have been absolutely loving Fraction's Hawkeye so far. It's one of the most entertaining books on the shelves right now. Actually, when you think about it, it shares a lot in common with your Clint and Natasha adventures. It's all about Hawkeye dealing with stuff that goes on when he's not out saving the world as an Avenger.

13. cooleddie74

More Tom in your photos? There's nothing about that I don't like.

14. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure that Hasbro actually has the rights to Prime Trek. DST currently has the license for trek in the prime timeline. In fact they are already working on a Trek Select line with TOS characters with elaborate/detailed backgrounds. The first two are Spock with the Horta from "Devil in the Dark" and a Kirk and Kahn in Engineering from "Space Seed."

Plus DST has done plenty of two packs of characters from TOS/TOS Movies/TNG.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  15. cooleddie74

Very cool. I wasn't aware that those were in the works. I'd love to have those.

16. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CoolEddie, I know you're talking about physical figurines, but if you ever use 3D rendering software, I can point you to a rather screen accurate version of Tom (as well as Crow and Gypsy) in .OBJ format that most modeling/rendering suites can import.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/49600/gallery/5/3D-Model/Some-tv-bots

http://www.sharecg.com/v/50557/gallery/5/3D-Model/Gypsy-rose

No, I didn't model them, but I did "challenge" the person who did as he was looking for a new subject to try.

Sincerely,

Bill

17. cooleddie74

Many thanks! I'll check out your links. Sounds very interesting.

18. OdoWanKenobi

Well I've finally completed wave one of DC Universe Unlimited, just in time for everyone else to start finding wave two. :lol:

Here's the last, and easily best figure from the first wave, Hawkman:
    [​IMG]

19. cooleddie74

Clever use of Servo in that one. ;)

20. OdoWanKenobi

Servo? What Servo? :shifty: