My Sci-Fi short film:

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Fuzzy Modem, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Can't do youtube from here ... What kind of contest are you in?

3. Fuzzy Modem

It's a film fest here in Alaska. There are 11 other entries, and I'm currently in the lead! (though #2 is catching up fast.)

4. Fuzzy Modem

5. OmahaStar

I saw it last night, and liked it enough to watch it a second time. I visited the website that was shown towards the end, and look forward to seeing the full 40 minute episode.

Are you going to use Kickstarter to raise funds? When do you plan to film/release the full version? And will the pilot/lt. be back? He was nice eye candy.

6. Fuzzy Modem

Cool, thanks!

I will campaign on kickstarter, and/or indygogo, but I won't rely on them. I'm trying to find traditional producers too. This 5 minute short should help me do that. It's screening at the film fest in Anchorage this weekend, and many industry pro's will be there.

I plan to start filming summer 2014 if not before. I had no plans to revive the pilot, though his acting is getting enough compliments that I might change my mind, or maybe re-cast him in a different role.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Got a Major Tom to ground control vibe. The captain's kind of weak, but the persona in the pod shows promise. Very nice for a shoestring budget. In my not-so-professional opinion... :)

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Agreed on both of the actors. I got the feeling that the captain was trying to be soothing and calm to keep the pilot from losing it, but he mostly came across as wooden.

Overall, it was very nice. Well directed and suspenseful with appealing special effects-- realism and artistry.

You should ask a Mod to combine this thread with your other thread so that all the material is in one place. This looks like a very promising project and I'll support it if you take it to Kickstarter.

I did download the script, but have not had a chance to read it yet-- I will, though.

9. Fuzzy Modem

I won the vote on youtube! My film screened at the Anchorage International Film Festival, and I got a pass that let me into the after party! I drank a lot of free booze and rubbed elbows with other film makers and producers, several of which showed interest in CrossOver and took copies of my screenplay for the pilot episode.

Thanks so much to everyone that voted! You guys rock!

10. Fuzzy Modem

Yeah, the guy who played the captain is my co-director. I had to drag him kicking and screaming infront of the camera when my actor fell through, just as he had to do to me when I acted in his zombie film "The Business" which I also edited.

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Congratulations and keep at it--the arts must LIVE, dammit!

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Congratulations. I'm about halfway through the screenplay and it's very good. The setting is exotic and interesting, and the dialogue flows easily and naturally.

One editorial point: Where you used the word "reside," you meant to use "recede."

13. OmahaStar

I take full credit for your winning the contest. You're welcome. Now bring back Lt. Hottie. :D

14. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Congrats! Very good short film. Was wondering where it might lead. Isolating the location is a great way to save money, and it came across as believable. Well done.

15. Fuzzy Modem

Thanks! You guys have any other suggestions for the director's cut?