Burn Notice: "End Run" 6/18 - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Jun 18, 2009.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Above average

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  3. Average

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Black market dealer Brennen kidnaps Michael's brother Nate, while Michael still has to deal with Detective Paxson's investigations.

2. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Eh, this one felt like a filler... Hope next week is better.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I thought this was far better than last week; there was far more threat from this baddie than the last one.

Hmmm. A blue-tooth cell-phone signal receptor from a Pringles can? That's one I'll have to remember.

I actually felt sorry for Nate, which is a first.

But I am really not buying the annoying cop. I don't know if it's the actress or the writing, or a combination of both, but I don't believe her character at ALL. It's too forced, too fake, too....something. Her delivery, her smiling and flirting....GAG. She doesn't look or sound like a cop in the least. I hope they get rid of her soon.

4. Aragorn

The actress was a last-minute replacement. Jennifer Esposito pulled out.

You know, if this were real life, Michael (and probably his whole family) would be dead by now with all the people wanting revenge since everyone knows where to find him.

The way the bad guy was left unresolved obviously means he'll be coming back a third time. He knew all about Michael, so shouldn't he have known about his team?

5. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Micheal should have killed him right then and there, time to stop leaving loose ends around.

But that's not good tv when he just talked to his daughter I guess.

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

My DVR didn't record sound last night. I'll have to wait 'til the Saturday mornin' rerun...

:(

7. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I especially liked the growth of Nate's character and the evolution of the relationship between Michael and Nate. But I agree with the above about Moon Bloodgood. I'm not buyin' it. Do something interesting with that plot line or ditch it.

8. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

It's up on Hulu if you don't want to wait that long.

While I'm predisposed to like Moon Bloodgood after Journeyman, I agree that her character has been lacking. I found myself thinking (with a little shudder) that I missed Carla. And I pretty much hated Carla.

For some reason the show doesn't have the same charm it had the first two seasons for me. I didn't feel any of the brotherly connection they were going for with Michael & Nate. And Michael's mom is just becoming over-the-top irascible and unreasonable. And Fi is getting too sappy/clingy with Michael.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Maybe Esposito read the script! I thought I would be the only one complaining about Bloodgood, but it turns out otherwise. I don't buy the character at all. I think it's a combination of the acting and the writing, neither of which work for me.

This episode was okay. The improvised antenna was a good gag, as were many of the other things Michael did in this episode. But there wasn't enough Bruce Campbell.

Average.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I wasn't all that crazy about this week's either despite loving the bad guy (I'm glad he'll be back). Something just seemed kind of off with the whole episode. I can't say I dislike the cop as much as you guys but I don't think she can last for long without getting tiresome real fast.

11. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I loved this episode, it was a great example of putting Michael out of his comfort zone. Normally he has a lot of preparation or at least some good background on the jobs he's gonna do, in this case, total improvisation. I do like the bank heist episode better in that respect. I'm glad that Brennen returned, he was a good villan who understood Michael very well.

While I don't hate the Cop, I'm not a big fan of hers either. Moon Bloodgood is doing okay, but I hope that she fitzes out soon.

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

My television is bigger than my laptop. Much as I love Thrax, I don't use him for catchin' up on television, unless I have to.

Besides, I'll be home around 7:30, the mornin' repeat will be at 8:00, so I'll be all set.

13. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

14. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

The trouble is that the "cop" is a pale imitation of Carla. I think the actress sucks. She has no screen presence and try as she might she can't even manage decent bitchiness. And having her pop up for 30 seconds at a time is just plain stupid. Either get her going as an actual threat to Michael or shut her up. Geez.

I agree. S2 had a great finish but right from the outset of this season, it felt wrong. I hope they get back on track. I love the premise and I love the characters/actors ... but Madeleine and Fi are so badly out of character right now, makes me want to smack them. Even Michael seems off (I don't recall Donovan being a producer in seasons 1 and 2, but I noticed he has a producer credit this season... I hope he isn't screwing around with the premise).

15. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I liked it. I agree that the cop chick is an anchor on the show pulling it down right now. I hope that they have something planed for her later and that is why they are just snipping the ends with her right now. I'm just worried that she's going to turn out to be a plant for that shady group who carla was working for...

I loved Jay Karnes being on the show. USA should give him a show to lead, total untapped talent in my opinion.

Loved the Bluetooth bit. And any time they can get Larry involved is a lot of fun... I cracked up on his life coach line.

Is anyone staying for Royal Pains, the new show following BN on thur nights?

16. Aragorn

I'm not watching Royal Pains, but it looks like Burn Notice set in the medical world -- top hotshot doctor is "burned" and resorts to helping different people each week in a sunny paradise using unconventional methods.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    They even had a clever advert where Michael sends the lead of Royal Pains a letter comparing their situations. It definitely looks like Burn Notice set in the medical world.

18. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched an episode & a half of Royal Pains. Found it rather obnoxious.

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

It is EXACTLY like Burn Notice gone Medical. There's the two sidekicks--one male, one female--the client wanting to keep the matter hush-hush, the quick run down of the fancy "MacGuyer-like" know-how.....set in a sexy location near the ocean.

Frankly, I'll just stick with Burn Notice, thanks.

20. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I'm watchin' Royal Pains, but it really isn't that good.

Loved the crossover promo, though.

Jay Karnes is cool, I like him in this, but liked him better as the good-ish guy on The Shield more.