The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any thoughts or rumors out there on the world wide web regarding the possibility of Ra's al Ghul himself actually returning, via Lazurus Pit or otherwise?

The title of the film does suggest a sort of resurrection theme, potentially. Shadows and deception and all that. I didn't find the portrayal of the character in BB to be particularly satisfying, so I find the idea somewhat intriguing.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

*Looks around at the internet*...Yeh sorry that doesn't quite work for us ;)

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't recall seeing a body. I don't recall there being one ever discussed on screen either.

How many times in the comics, movies, and stories in general has that sort of "demise" turned out not really to have happened?

It's up to the writers. If they want him to have successfully jumped out at the last second, they can get away with it. And as he monologues about it to Batman, the appropriate smirk on his face will make it plausible.

Or, the League of Shadows can, say, acupuncture his ass out of a death coma.

No Lazurus Pit is needed, which seems like it would be even more far-fetched in a movie than either of the above. IMO, introducing the Lazurus Pit into the films would jump the shark. Notice that in BB, the League is of Shadows, rather than of Assassins, so it operates in a different continuity from any comic.

4. flemm

There would certainly be plenty of ways to do it, with possibly the most straight-forward of all being that Liam Neeson's character was simply not, in fact, Ra's al Ghul. I agree that a Lazurus Pit seems unlikely in the Nolanverse, though I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

I was more specifically curious as to whether the possibility had already been widely considered on the interwebs, as I have not been following the chatter on this particular film very closely.

EDIT: I see that it has come up a time or two, unsurprisingly.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure they won't but, maybe introduce Lazarus as a steroid-like serum similar to Venom which could resurrect Ras and make Bane, Bane. All in a fairly realistic tone of course.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like this idea: a double decoy!

7. flemm

Well, yeah, basically we have no reason to believe him anymore than the original guy who identified himself as Ra's. It always felt like a bit of a cheap twist to me, but it gets better if it is not really a twist, but just the modus operandi of the League of Shadows.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

But then this new guy wouldn't have any connection to Bruce, since we never saw him in BB and he never met Bruce in the first place. He lacks the connection Ducard/Ghul had.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I could certainly see "Ra's al Ghul" -- "Head of the Demon" -- being the hereditary title of the leader of the League of Shadows. And if it were passed down from leader to leader, that could be a realistic interpretation of the idea of Ra's as an immortal -- there's no single individual who comes back from the dead, but as the title is passed on, it breeds the myth that the Head of the Demon cannot die. Kinda like The Phantom, only evil.

I'm not saying that's what I'd actually want to see in the new movie -- frankly, the fewer reminders of Begins, the better. I'm just saying that in the abstract, it's an interesting thought.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I like the idea of Ra's al Ghul being a title rather than an individual. However, if the individual with the title is not Liam Neeson, there's no point having him in the movie.

Although there are two thoughts. One is to come full circle (in which case, the League of Shadows or Talia al Ghul makes sense). The other is to keep it Gotham focused, in which case, making this movie rely too heavily on the first would make the Dark Knight seem like an unfortunate outlier.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Cary Elwes!

12. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The Hero Complex reports that Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas will be producing a reinvention of Batman after The Dark Knight Rises. The article also mentions that Warner Bros. wishes to produce a Justice League film as soon as 2013.

13. Obiwanshinobi

Reinvention? I thought he'd be done after TDKR. And revisiting JL eh? Armie Hammer back as Bruce?

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting.

15. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Nolan's Batman would have to reinvented in order to fit into a Justice League universe, one in which aliens, magic, and super powers were everyday occurances.

16. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Drew McWeeny over at Hitfix has his own opinion on the rumored 2013 JL movie, I share his doubts. It is logistically impossible that it will happen in 2013.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-...eally-a-justice-league-film-happening-in-2013

17. Obiwanshinobi

What about 2014?

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I really think the only way a JL movie could really work would be if they went the Marvel route and established the universe, and characters in their own movies before bringing them together as a team. IMO it would be to complicated to try to introduce all of the different heroes in one 1.5-3hr movie.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I don't see that happening. The Incredible Hulk was a financial disappointment, and Iron Man 2 made less domestically than its predecessor did. I guarantee you that if Thor and Captain America under-perform, you'll immediately see The Avengers re-branded to something like Iron Man and the Avengers. The shared Marvel film universe has been incredibly ambitious, but it's a risky move for any studio to take: Basically, it's six movies within a shared universe in the span of four years. With Justice League, you'd be looking at a new Batman movie, Snyder's Superman, this summer's Green Lantern, and then new films of Wonder Woman and The Flash. That'd be a lot of money for Warner to shell out.

Green Lantern is the test balloon. If it pops and bombs (which looks somewhat possible), Warner Bros. will say "fuck it," have Snyder's Superman next year, reboot Batman in 2014 and do a Justice League movie that introduces Flash and Wonder Woman in its own screentime.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Perhaps. Then again, Batman: The Animated Series was set in a pretty realistic world, aside from the odd bits of sci-fi like Clayface, Mr. Freeze, and the Clock King's time-dilation device. But it was later established as being part of a broader continuity that included all the fanciful stuff in Superman, Justice League, and Static Shock, from supertechnology to aliens to parallel universes to out-and-out magic. Case in point, Zatanna appeared in B:TAS purely as a stage magician, but by JLU she had actual supernatural powers. So we were expected to accept the retcon that the DCAU had always included such fanciful elements, but they hadn't been a part of life in Gotham City, or had been mostly hidden away. (My personal retcon there is that maybe the Green Lantern Corps protected Earth from alien intrusion for a while, but once Superman went public, that effort became moot, and Earth became more aware of what was really out there. Not sure how to explain the rise of magic phenomena, unless maybe Superman's presence drew more attention from the mystic forces.)