1. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

What did you think of this episode?I know I actually loved as it was the first episode to give you an inside look to Spock's world,Vulcan.I think it's great to get a gimpse and understanding of the Vulcan culture.It also was the first time we see Spock do a Vulcan salute,in which we see through out the series and movies.But it also it was time we see a bonding going on between the big three.I espically love the part when Spock comes back to the Enterprise and is surprised to see that Kirk is alive in which he thought he killed him.I just loves is reaction to seeing Kirk,I thought was a memorable moment.What do you all think?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. Loved it. One of my all-time favorites.

Of course all the Vulcan stuff is great, the costumes, the hair, the Vulcan set, the crazy-ass weapons, the big gong, the ll & p (which is how Vulcans twitter it, in case you were curious), T'Pau's accent, "de air iss de air, vat can be done?", T'Pring's self-defeating bitchery (she threw over Spock for that guy???), the whole package, great stuff.

My favorite part is at the beginning: Kirk and Spock telling Chekov and Sulu to keep changing course. I've had days at work like that. :rommie:

3. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

Yeah I like that part where Sulu is talking to Chekov he says: First were going Altar than were going to Vulcan than were going to Altar than were going to Vulcan. And Chekov says:I think Im getting space sick..That I think is really funny

4. Tribbles

Tribbles Commander Red Shirt

Amok Time was the first TOS episode I watched because I was so interested in Spock after seeing the new movie. I just loved it! Kirk and Spock's discussion about "biology" was so endearingly awkward.

I think my favorite scene is when Chapel (after having the soup she cooked thrown at her, bless her heart!) goes to Spock's room to tell him they're on course for Vulcan. I do feel sorry for her when she reaches out to touch the sleeping Spock, then hesitates and draws away. Poor girl has it bad. And Spock's response to her seems rather... suggestive. It's a tense scene, and the music that accompanies it adds to the dark feel. I think Spock is barely able to restrain himself at this point, and the music reflects it.

Oh, and the scene where Spock smashes his console cracks me up. They cut to it suddenly and then shift away from it just as quickly. Uhura calls for him, he jumps up from his lyre, snarls, "Let me alone... let me alone!" and pounds that console into scrap metal. Poor Spock! Pon farr ain't easy.

Also, Stonn is hideous. T'Pring, girl, you trippin'.

5. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

There's a ton of fanfic written around that one sentence: "It would be illogical for us to protest against our natures, don't you think?" :lol:

My understanding of that scene is that Spock, thinking he would not get to Vulcan in time, was suggesting that Chapel 'help' him. Chapel, of course, did not get it and instead told Spock they were on their way to Vulcan again.. and I bet she kicked herself when she later realized what Spock was after..

I really liked T'Pau. A really strong quest character. T'Pring was also interesting in her calm, cold, calculatedness. (And btw I thought she looked pregnant when she marched to the ceremony place. Don't know if that was on purpose or not.)

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yes, "Amok Time" is a very enjoyable, classic episode. Of course, there are always the nits to pick. Like why does T'Pau have a vaguely European accent? (Actress Celia Lovsky was a native of Austria). And why is she the only Vulcan who uses the archaic pronouns "thee" and "thy" when speaking English? Did she learn the language from Quakers?

It's implied that T'Pau is some sort of family matriarch, and that she holds a position of importance in Vulcan society in general. Did we learn anything more about her in the later Trek shows, or in written Trek fiction?

7. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

"Amok Time" is my all-time favorite Trek episode. I remember walking through the recreation room in my college dorm and it seemed that this episode was always on. I didn't know much about Star Trek, but I knew Kirk and Spock were friends. Why were they fighting all the time?

Finally, I asked a friend who was watching what was going on, and she said "Take a seat and see what you think." I figured, "Well, this won't change my life or anything" and sat down.

As they say, the rest is history, even if it was future history.

8. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Spock also uses these pronouns. I speculate that they're using a formal mode of speaking, which when translated from Vulcan to Federation Standard, results in "thee, thy, thou".

Read Spock's World by Diane Duane. In my opinion, it's THE BEST novel about Vulcan, period.

9. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Thee, thy and thou were used as intimate forms of address. "Thou" was the equivalent of the French "tu." The more formal mode of address would have been "you."

It also bugs me that they get the usage wrong - they use "thee" when they should use "thou" -- as do the Quakers, for that matter (at least in the movies).

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

True, but modern English speakers associate thee, thou, thy and thine with formal speech mainly because of their use by Shakespeare and in the King James Bible -- sources we tend to think of as “formal” or “flowery” writing.
    The Quakers used thee as both subject and object. Their antique grammar may have been questionable, but they made great furniture. And their oatmeal is pretty good too.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A much younger T'Pau appears on Enterprise in three episodes. Which sets up why she is one of Vulcan's best known citizens.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my favorites.

13. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I think it is a very Spock episode which is good and it delves deeper into what vulcans are like emotionally and personally don't you agree

14. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

It is a good episode. My fav part is when Spock tells McCoy that he would like him to accompany him to Vulcan (along with Kirk), and for all his 'complaining' and protesting against Spock he was quite pleased and even honoured to be invited by Spock.

15. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Yeah, and that moment is done so well. First Spock mentions that the male is accompanied by his closest friends and then when he requests McCoy's presence McCoy just momentarily pauses and says "I shall be honored, sir." Very low key but effective.

One thing I don't like is the way they discuss T'Pring when they are back on the Enterprise. "Ah, yes, the girl."

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amok time is one of my favorite episodes.What we laern about the Vulcans their culture and Spock's family is fascinating.T'Pau was a force to be reckoned with. McCoy faking Kirk's death and Spock's reaction to Kirk being alive priceless.:techman:

17. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fantastic episode! Very well written, directed, and acted. It keeps the tension up, and the resolution of the episode wasn't obvious at all. Great interplay between the characters. One of the true classics of the series!

18. WisTrekFan

WisTrekFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If a person were to try to compile a list of say the top twenty-five episodes of all the Star Trek series, Amok Time would certainly be on that list. It was a great introduction to Vulcan society and has great Kirk/Spock scenes. It also illustrates the difference between the first two seasons of Star Trek and the third season. Amok Time opened the second season. The third season opener was Spock's Brain.

19. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This episode was one of my favourites as well. And as unpopular this is, I really liked T'Pring. I admired T'Pring's decisions, for she was just looking out for herself and for her future.

20. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I think this episode sucks. I'm baffled and appalled by its popularity and inclusion on the "Best of Star Trek" DVD. Naturally it's considered 'important' because it offers the first detailed glimpse into Spock's culture and home planet, but just because it has a significant premise doesn't make it an automatic classic. It had a good premise, but I hate the execution of the premise.

I think this episode demonstrates some of the worst excesses of Star Trek. On Vulcan, they overdo it big time with corny acting, music, and set design. I was so disappointed by how lame Vulcan looked and the overuse of the fight theme during Spock and Kirk's fight has been parodied for years because it's ridiculous.

The only part I liked was Spock's dignified grief over his actions when he thinks he has killed Kirk and his elated "Jim!" at the end, followed by McCoy's hilarious mockery of Spock trying to hide his joy. This episode has one of the greatest endings in all of Star Trek, but I hate everything else about it. I saw it once and never want to see it again (although I wouldn't mind watching the ending multiple times).