Donnie Darko worth buying?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aike, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

I have never seen the cult classic Donnie Darko.
    But I loved the Butterfly Effect. Is Donnie Darko better and is it worth buying?

2. FluffyUnbound

FluffyUnbound Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Donnie Darko is a very interesting film. My only reservation about it is that the sound quality of the production [both in the theater and on DVD and on cable, I've seen it three ways] is so horrible that it almost detracts from the film. It made me think I was going deaf. It makes some of the lines difficult to make out and decipher [sort of like British television]. If you have a good home theater setup that you are confident can overcome the indie film's poor sound production, you should be all set and probably want to buy it or at least Netflix it.

3. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

I really liked Donnie Darko. IMO it's much better than the Butterfly Effect. Go for the director's cut though. It's the superior version.

4. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Donnie Darko is kind of a divisive film. Some people like it, some people hate it. I would be afraid to hazard a guess whether you'd like it or not. Myself I thought it was worth watching once but I had issues with what I saw as the overall message of the film.

5. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Do it

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quite. I'd call it a rental - check if you'd like it first.

Actually, my general stance is a rental - it was a movie I saw once, liked, but didn't want to see again. It's not great, but it's certainly an agreeable, oddball little movie.

7. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, it's a movie I enjoy for the atmosphere more than anything else. The plot doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's so well put-together it's hard not to like.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I rather like it, but I disagree about the Director's Cut. Buy (or rent) the theatrical version. It's the much superior film.

9. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is how I feel about it as well. I own the DVD, btw.

[​IMG]

10. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I love it, and own both versions. There's so many things to like about it. The quirkiness of the story, the fine acting, etc.

Mind you....

The commentary for the Director's Cut does make you think that Richard Kelly himself doesn't really know what it's all about...

11. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with the poster above: If you are not sure if Donnie Darko is the right movie for you, go and rent it first. Personally, I own the DVD and I really like the movie. I don't want to spoil anything, so just a hint: The movie makes you see smurfs in a whole new way ;).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  12. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Donnie Darko a lot but I agree with what others are saying; it's a pretty divisive movie. But worth giving a go.

13. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd give it a rent first, it's worth that at least. I'm not big into buying movies though, I only own about 25 of the 1,300 I've seen.

14. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Donnie Darko has a story very similar to The Butterfly Effect, but what is happening is less clearly defined, more surreal and ambiguous. It is a very entertaining and poignant film that has some really great moments in it. I'd buy it.

The director's cut spells things out a little more clearly, I hear, but I've never seen it. Oh, one thing that Donnie Darko has in spades over The Butterfly Effect is songs - really awesome soundtrack.

15. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

That's the smart way to go. I have 1500+ titles and only small number get rewatched. It seems silly when you think about it.