Would a Windows expert please help?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Thurisaz, May 14, 2009.

1. Thurisaz

Thurisaz Lieutenant Commander

An old friend of mine gave me the Star Trek Encyclopedia on CD-Rom. I have a Mac running Windows XP in Parallels. It won't open. After further examination, the CD's say Macintosh OS7 and up : Windows 95-98. Well, Apple no longer supports classic environment, and XP won't open them either. Is there anything I can download in XP that will allow me to open 95-98 files? Thanks.

2. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

Odds are, you're boned.

that said... right-click on the program file, choose the compatibility tab, and select Windows 98. feel free to play around with the options, see if any of them help, nothing you select there will harm the PC.

3. Thurisaz

Thurisaz Lieutenant Commander

Didn't work. This sucks. If I can hunt down a 98 disk I can install another desktop. Shit, I was all happy.:scream:

4. Garrovick

Garrovick Guest

There is a lot of data on those CDs. You can get to most of it by just browsing the disc. Mostly text files and .mov files. If you are just curious to see what's on them.

5. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Now is as good a time as every to learn about dual-booting :)

6. jadasi

jadasi Cadet Newbie

A program like virtual windows should do this ... you would need to have a copy of Windows to install though... I often use it for testing small code i write across the different Win OS... you can pop open any OS you have installed in a window ;)

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

If you just want a Star Trek Encyclopedia, as good as the Okuda's one was, then I'd just go to Memory Alpha. It's a lot more comprehensive and much more up to date.

8. Garrovick

Garrovick Guest

Another advert for Memory Alpha?

And it runs on any OS connected to the Internet.

9. Apophis

Apophis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sheepshaver http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/ allows you to run the classic Mac OS inside OS X (Intel included). The copy I got included the classic Mac OS, so you don't need to buy anything.

I use it to play my old copy of Oregon Trail 2. Should work for what you want to do.