Watchmen movie ending blows...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by T'Baio, Feb 28, 2009.

1. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Spoiler alert. Duh.

I just read how Snyder has changed the ending, from the Squid thing to making bombs from Dr. Manhattan's powers, bombing cities and uniting the world against Dr. Manhattan?

That fucking sucks.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

We get ...

"Oh, you managed to squid-ify one city. Woop dee doo. Congrats."

Or ...

"Man, you blew up every major population point in most of the civilized world with an explosion that cites one of our own allies as the cause because you're a cold-hearted motherfucker. Damn y'know, this sure does unite a lot of people against one force, even if they're terrified of that force. Fuck, and y'know I bet it took a lot of work to make it look like a Manhattan thing."

Edit: This is from Dave Gibbons' storyboards of the film. Note the scale. I think this makes it equally valid as the original, considering that Ozymandias' goal is utopia, and by destroying the central capitals of the world, people will need to work together and stop turning against each other in general. (Hence the focus against Dr. Manhattan; when he abandons Earth, he can be focused upon as an enemy.)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  3. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the new ending works much better for the movie going audience that hasn't read the graphic novel then the original.
    And besides, be it with a giant squid or tricking everyone into thinking Doctor Manhattan went crazy and killed a bunch of people, Veidt has accomplished his goal of getting the world to unite.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The new endin' is awesome. Trust me, it works.

5. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The purist in me hates the change. The optimist is confident that it will work as well, if not better.

6. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

All I'm going to say without seeing the movie is that if you just see the movie and don't read the book or don't plan on reading the book, SHAME ON YOU!

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

The image of a giant alien nightmare surrounded by a million dead people is one of the highlights of the book.

8. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never read a single comic book in my life and I picked up Watchmen last month because I heard it was that good. It is. bring on the movie.

Also, I'm flexible on the ending. I've only recently gotten into it so the material isn't really sacred to me. I just hope they do what makes dramatic sense. The ending on the page works well for the funnybooks but I'm not sure how it would translate to the silver screeen.

9. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

The new ending makes more sense and is less random.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Exactly, if they stuck with the space octopus most of the audience would've left with a "Well, THAT was out of nowhere" feel.

11. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

^Yep, whereas in the book the hints splattered throughout kind of gel when you finally learn about it. I'm sure they wouldn't have been able to include such references in the movie without beating you over the head with it and ruining any attempt at surprise.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not sure yet. I too like the scene in the graphic novel where the squid is surrounded by death. On the other hand, Dr Manhattan making a sacrifice for Earth has its appeal too.

RAMA

13. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's too late for me now. I've been told this so many times it's ruined me and I know I'll find a way to hate it. It's unavoidable.

It won't be its fault, so I'm not going to read it. No sense in tearing something down that doesn't deserve it.

I never saw 'American Beauty' either, for exactly the same reason.

14. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because a cold war America's enemies wouldn't instead take that moment to gang up on the country but instead would unite with America? Sure... :guffaw:

I'm not even a fan and even I can see the new ending is lame. :rolleyes:

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt I will feel any more shame with this movie then any other based on a comic or book that I have not read, which is to say shame = zero.

16. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to the spoilers I've read Veidt has multiple Doctor Manhattan bombs which he detonates in cities around the world, so yes it would unite the world against Doctor Manhattan.

17. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

^
    Yup, it turns it into a global catastrophe.

I'd have enjoyed the visual of the squid in downtown New York, I've seen New York zapped with lasers before, but I can see from how the new ending might enhance the story. I will wait and see what I think of it this weekend, but I understand why they changed it and am open to the concept.

A friend of mine here in Toronto worked on the IMAX transfer of the film and said the film is very good, so I'm optimistic. He got to see Star Trek the other day... sonofa...

18. dkehler

dkehler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best decision they could have possibly made.

19. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

He did?! And...?

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Gah, I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread. Oh well, not a big deal. I knew the movie wouldn't be a faithful adaptation. This is a change that I actually don't mind. Hopefully they executed it well.