Matt Smith and the anniversary special

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Starkers, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Nice little interview here

Interesting to note that he's denying he's playingt the lead in How to Catch a Monster as well. Perhaps his role is not as big as expected, in fact maybe it won't require him taking as much time off from Who as expected?

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I saw a story a few minutes ago about Ryan Gosling. It seems he's decided to take a break from making films, for an undetermined amount of time. As I recall, the movie Matt Smith was going to be in was going to be directed by Gosling. If Gosling is serious, that means there is no movie for Smith, at least not any time soon.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well it seems he's taking a break from acting, whether he's extending it to directing isn't certain:shrug:

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not what he said. He said a break from acting and will concentrate on directing instead.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, I had no idea Matt Smith was intended to be the lead in a Ryan Gosling Directed movie. I thought he was merely a "guest Star" in a movie Ryan Gosling was acting in, so, I was confused by everyone thinking it was going to take up so much of Matt Smith's time :alienblush:

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

But that's the point, he isn't the lead in the film apparently, so we don't know how big (or not) his role is.

7. Sindatur

Understood, I was just saying I ddn't understand the previous panic.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah I see, sorry :)

9. Sindatur

No problem, "Intended" was a poor choice of words my part, I see now. I would have been more clear, if I had used the word "believed" :alienblush:

10. StCoop

He's almost certainly playing the main bad guy (so a lead role but not THE lead role).

And according to JLC he'll be gone for four months shooting it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The Sun reports today that Matt is gone at Christmas.

They could be right. Or they could be taking quotes from here and there and painting a picture that fits the quotes but isn't accurate at all.

Personally, I'd rather see Moffat go than Smith. I would love to see how another producer would handle Smith's Doctor. But I know, deep down, that that possibility has never been in the cards.

12. StCoop

Here's the thing. Moffat has confirmed he's back for S8 as has JLC but Smith has consistently refused to confirm anything past Christmas.

And the BBC's response to the story is pretty laughable.

“Sorry folks but even we don’t know what’s going to happen at Christmas. It’s not been written yet!”

There is no way on earth that they don't know now if the Christmas Special is going to finish with a Regeneration or not.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

A sun report so acurate it says Matt's already filmed How to Catch a Monster!

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I was just about to say that

Their track record isn't that bad, though, so... 50/50 chance

15. StCoop

Regardless of how this particular story pans out, is there anyone who thinks that he's not focused on making a full-time Hollywood career for himself in the reasonably short-term future?

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Of course it's entirely possible both will leave at the same time :shrug:

It would have been good to see another dynamic take place, but you could say that about a lot of Who over the years. I'd have liked to have seen a Moffat/Tennant series, although the downside to that is we probably wouldn't have got Matt.

It is a bit of a stopped clock scenario though, publish regular stories that says an actor is leaving a role and eventually you'll be right

Well that seems to be the goal of an awful lot of British actors, though he may have taken a look at what happened to Tennant and realised it's not neccesarily a given.

17. StCoop

I suppose the difference is Smith mentions it pretty regularly in interviews and Tennant seemed to just give it a go and came back home to regular, successful work when it didn't pan out.

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A point to remember about Tennant is that his circumstances have changed; back in 2009 he was single, though with a steady girlfriend, now he's married, with a child, and adopted child and a third on the way. Far more solid ties back in the UK now than then.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh I wouldn't disagree with either of you on that, although even with a family America isn't that far away these days and there are plenty of people who hop between the two (Andrew Lincoln just as one example).

And I'm sure if Rex is not my Lawyer had been picked up it would have altered things.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

From some rumors it seemed that filming "House" in America strained Huge Laurie's relationship with his family