"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

In his defense, he's 61. He grew up expecting different things from superhero movies. He wanted to see the movie with my brother and I, which surprised me. I think he just wanted to do something as a family (as I said, my mother is deceased, so his wanting to spend time with us carries more weight than it would've if she were still alive) and he knew we'd both be going to see it. I remember he liked Batman Begins. He personally didn't remember what was the last Batman movie he saw. I know for a fact that he saw part of The Dark Knight four years ago but I couldn't gauge his opinion. I only posted what he thought to show what one casual movie-goer who's not a fan thought.

My point was you don't have to be a fan of the comic to not like the film. Not everything is "Fanboy this! Fanboy that!" despite what people who want to dismiss any criticism might think.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

re: Batpod, would something like this work a little better? (imagine it'd be on the other side as well and more spherical if need be).

[​IMG]

I don't know... crazy bat-engineering :)

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

^ Nice job. :techman: That would definitely make it less bumpy when he does the little sidestep move.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Got it. It's always good to hear what a non-fan or a casual fan thinks. That line I quoted just caught my attention because a lot of people feel that way and I'm usually of the opinion that superhero movies can and should be more serious if need be. If anything it's a break from the norm. In thinking about this movie over the last few weeks, I agree that it would have been nice for Batman to not have dropped the ball on his crimefighting, but at the same time, it was great to see his troubles play out and his days come to an end. I didn't think I'd ever see that in a live-action movie.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:techman:

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was no need to set up any heir for Batman. The movie could have easily ended with Batman "dead" and the symbol of Batman living on in the ordinary citizens of Gotham City. In fact, thematically speaking, that would have been a much more powerful ending for the trilogy. No, Blake's role strikes me as a studio-mandated decision to give them an option to continue the franchise without Nolan or Bale.

7. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^Maybe they could have had an "I am Batman!" scene.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Was the side step move done for real? Since Nolan prefers stuff to be done on set.

9. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nolan doesn't own anything - Warner's does. If they want to make a movie that is essentially a continuation of this unvierse there's not a damn thing Nolan can do to stop them. And why would he care if they did? He's moved on to other projects. Everyone keeps talking like Warner's is going to be tiptoeing around Nolan over these movies and this universe, which isn't exactly how studios operate, especially with as lucrative of a franchise as Batman.

As for whether they could get JGL - he's plainly positioning himself as an action leading man right now (Premium Rush due out in a couple of weeks), and a Batman II sequel would probably be a big ticket item for at least one film. Blake's story was by far the most interesting character piece of the film and there is a lot of buzz around it. You never know. I imagine it would depend on if they could get a workable script.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt they will be able to get all the actors (especially Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman) back unless Nolan produces/writes the script or they get a shitload of money thrown at them.

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Gary and Morgan would probably come back. It is a job in the end.

Gary's done everything from "The book of eli"/ Harry Potter and the upcoming "Robocop" reboot.

Morgan's part could be done in one day of filming.

Caine could do a cameo.

12. Mr. Adventure

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Since we're asking questions, what is that spinning down punch Bane used on Batman in their first fight? What fighting style is that?

14. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why would you even need any of them except for possibly Oldman? It'd be easy enough to set something 3 years down the line, Alfred moved on after TDKR (he's going to stay at Wayne Manor and watch the kids??), Fox has retired (leaving a red-headed wheelchair-bound digi-tech genius in charge of Applied Sciences - woot woot!) and Oldman does the cameo, but the main police character is the head of MCU, characterize and cast as you will.

The above is merely an example of how with a teensy bit of brainstorming you could carry on with the continuity coming via the Manor/ Batcave/ Gotham/ Wayne Enterprises - and not much else.

15. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I watched TDK again yesterday after along time. Its hard to tell how old Gordon's daughter was. But with the time jump to TDKR and another for a potental sequel Barabra would be about the same age as Robin.

Its clear one of the reasons they had such a huge time jump was so that Robin would have been very young when Batman debuted. Beyond the comic tadition of the age gap. But to show the inspiration Batman gave. Whch would have needed to have been a kid. Watching the first two movies now, its easy to imagine that little "John Blake" is following the Batman's exploits in the news. Talking to other kids about him.

Its fitting that Gordon Joseph Levitt was a child actor so we know exactly what he looked like younger. Also that Bale himself started as a child actor.

Anyone notice that the current issue of GQ kind of gives away a huge spoiler?

Levitt is on the cover with a large caption

"BOY WONDER - GORDON JOSEPH LEVITT"

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

This review is very short and very funny!

It's a good movie. However, it practically begged for a review like this.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

TDKR "criticism" has been in RLM territory for some time now.

First of all, the motivation of the villains is a bullshit problem. In their motivation the villains of this film are essentially no different from any number of movie villains over the years, including BB. And no one ever had an issue with "motivation" in those cases... just this one. You might as well say "this movie violated fundamental rules of filmmaking that I made up myself". You might as well say "TDKR changed the Force".

Don't tell me - you're just joking. At least that would explain a theory contradicted by the fact that this movie was finished shooting before Romney was even the nomney.

She heard Bane call him "Mr. Wayne", but don't let that get in the way of your much more entertaining kissing theory.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Regardless of what one thinks of TDKR it's on track to make some decent money despite a somewhat stumbling start.

19. Mr. Adventure

I think part of the problem is people try to understand Bane's motivations but I don't think they really make much sense except as Talia's stooge but that isn't revealed to the end. He seems like this guy with some higher purpose but in the end he's just pissing in everyone's corn flakes for as long as he can.

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Caine has said in Empire magazine he would come back as Alfred even if it was a reboot.