Kruge, and Genesis

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Deck 1 - Bridge, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Because Maltz is by himself and he couldn't turn his back long enough to lock up the prisoners and command the ship at the same time? Sulu could've flipped him! He has no backup, that's my theory.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marching the bunch to a holding cell sounds simpler to me (and probably involves less back-turning) than keeping them all at gunpoint on a bridge where no matter where they stand, they have access to dangerous equipment...

And if Maltz can spare the time to go to the transporter room to beam up the captives, he isn't too busy to command the ship.

Timo Saloniemi

3. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Because they all knew once Kirk beamed down, Kruge will inevitably be on the receiving end of repeated Shatner kicks to the face.

What is there to be worried about?

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The plot of TSFS only works if you permit everyone except the Trek regulars (by extension including Sarek) to be absolutely stupid - everyone from the captain of the freighter ("What's going on? When do I get paid?") to Kruge ("We are Klingons!").

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  5. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Don't forget Captain "Stand by for evasive!" Esteban.

6. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heh? I don't even particularly think of Kruge as being a bad guy.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, he executed one of his own people because he displeased him. He executed David just to "show his sincerity" and he was attempting to gain a planet destroying weapon. That's all text book bad guy behavior. :p

8. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By human standards.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given we're all humans discussing a science fiction movie, did you have a different set of standards to offer?

10. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Kruge: "No tricks Kirk"

Kirk: "No tricks" (Yeah right)

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Big jump from DAY OF THE DOVE where Kirk is actually honest when saying no tricks after we get up to the ship.

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Well obviously. The whole 'we act for the preservation of our race' thing puts it squarely in Klingon terms, though us humans should relate to it on some base level too.

It's almost too much to know about his position, because it actually encourages sympathy when this is one villain who actually benefits from being 2 dimensional with all the havoc he causes (and the less personality exhibited, the less 'Reverend Jim' comes to the fore as well ... they'd've been SO much better off with Jurgen Prochnow or Edward James Olmos, or when he was going to be a Romulan, Omar Sharif.)

I usually am much more in favor of an antagonist with viewpoint that is understandable, but this movie won't really support that because it is about 'our' side in terms of emotional identity, and not the interaction of antagonist with them (as was the case with TFF.)