NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Cmdr Shepard, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Cmdr Shepard

Cmdr Shepard Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Greatest discover ever.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Squiggy will be along shortly to dash your hopes.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

While this is an interesting discovery and would be wonderful if true, there's a long way to go before this is considered conclusive proof. The fact that the microfossils are so similar to Terrestrial forms is indicative more of contamination than alien life.

This researcher has made some pretty extravagant claims before and the Journal of Cosmology has published some questionable research (in fact, I believe it's now out of business). I wouldn't make any bets on this being the big one.

4. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

If confirmed.

This is patently untrue, as astrobiology is pretty much hot stuff in the world of astronomy. I've attended a few workshops about it, and people are very open-minded about the possibility of life out there. They just want their research to be as flawless and robust as possible. Given the importance of the any possible discovery, it's the wisest approach.

Well, I am a cosmologist, and in all honesty I've never heard of the Journal of Cosmology until today.

This is what wiki says about them:

EtA:

I've got a look at their website, and it doesn't look professional, at all. More like a personal webpage from the early 90s.

Also, they rebuked the criticism of Hoover's paper with the title "Have the Terrorist won?" Then they went on commenting that "only a few crackpots and charlatans have denounced Hoover study", and that "tremendous efforts have been made to shout [sic] down the truth, and the same crackpots, self-promoters, liars, and failures are quoted repeatedly in the media". Then they concluded the piece comparing themselves to Giordano Bruno, NASA to the Inquisition, calling the science communitym "raving lunatics", "frothing-at-the-mouth", "frightned and terrorized", "terrorists" and "lunatic fringe".

So... yeah. I wouldn't hold my breath about the legitimacy of this discovery. As they say: I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, but I'm delighted very rarely.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Sounds about right. I read about it in the Bad Astronomy Blog over at Discover.com.