Skrain or Elmo Dukat?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by apenpaap, Jan 21, 2011.

?

You must choose!

1. Skrain Dukat

62.5%
  2. Elmo Dukat

16.7%
  3. just Gul Dukat

20.8%
  1. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

In the Relaunch novels, Dukat's first name is Skrain. But, according to Memory Alpha Ronald D. Moore frequently said Dukat's first name was Elmo when someone asked him about it. Leaving aside the fact that he was obviously joking, which name do you prefer? Skrain Dukat, Elmo Dukat, or will he always just be Gul Dukat to you?

2. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    For my Polish ears "Skrain" sounds like finger nails on a blackboard :shivers:

3. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

I like to think his first name is Gul. like Darth Vader's was Darth, before it was badly retconned to be the title of every bad guy with a lightsaber.

4. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Elmo sounds goofy, like a childrens' cartoon character. Skrain sounds more alien and more Cardassian.

5. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Skrain sounds like something you do when you need a stout glass of prune juice

6. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was in an episode of DS9 that his first name was Skrain. I don't know which one though.

7. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

All the show ever gave us was one episode where he gave his name--or name and title--it's not clear--as "Dukat, S.G." This could have been "Station Gul," but it's not clear.

"Skrain" comes from the Pocket Books novels.

At first I admit I was not the biggest fan of that name, but I've now spent a few years writing for an alternate "good-guy" version of him, and just the different feelings associated with that character have changed the way I hear the name. When I write the "good twin," I don't hear the harshness of the name so much...I hear the rhyme with "rain." But when I write about Gul Dukat, it seems like a harsh, mean name to go with a cruel man.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually the term 'Gul' was first used - as a Cardassian rank - on TNG, well before Dukat ever existed as a character. "The Wounded", I believe it was. Although it did feature Marc Alaimo, as a different Gul (Macet, who in the novels is Dukat's cousin).

9. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This week's occupation of Bajor brought to you by the letter C!

10. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gul Dukat - that's as much of a name as he'll ever have!

11. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Elmo's just too silly. Skrain isn't that great but I'll take it over Elmo any day.

12. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

You gotta wonder if Macet actually got to meet Wes Crusher. That would be a case of Boy Meets Gul

13. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

I don´t like the name Skrain much from its sound, but somehow it fits Dukat. Elmo just sounds... stupid...reminds me of some furry sesam street doll or so.
    Gul Dukat of course sounds most familiar, but as Gul is a rang and not a name....
    I would vote for both...Gul Dukat and Skrain Dukat, depending if he is on duty or not.
    But as you asked for a name I think I put in my vote for Skrain then.

TerokNor

14. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

^ This.

I agree.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gotta stick with Elmo, though my actual preference is for Cosmo.

16. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd never thought to play it through my mind like that before. Yes, it does have a very different feel when read in that way. When reading "Skrain" I tend to draw out the "fingernails on a blackboard" bit, as Gul Re'jal put it. I guess I unconsciously make the sound "appropriate" to the man. From now on, I'll definitely read AU Skrain the way I read rain. More emphasis on the "ain", less on the "Skr" :)

17. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. And then there was Gul Madred and Gul Lemec. That would have to be one very popular first name on Cardassia... Also, when do officers get called by their first name?! That would be like everyone calling Picard "Jean-Luc", rather than just Beverly, or everyone calling Sisko "Ben". Or aliens concluding that "Captain" must be a very popular name on Earth.

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

why didn't they call each other by their first names? everyone knew who was in charge anyways and it seems less militaristic.

19. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

HA! There was a character in one of Gul Re'jal's stories that made a joke about exactly that. :lol:

20. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I completely forgot about that :lol: But in that case the popular name was "Lieutenant" :guffaw: