AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    They likely will. I recall it being said that while IM3 and Thor2 will be very much stand alone with little said about events in Avengers that with Cap2 the story is going to heavily roll out of events in The Avengers. To me that means a good dose of SHIELD.

How about for a Black Widow film, with Hawkeye as a support character it be titled- SHIELD:Operation Widow, the story is about bringing her in and in that process the necessary origin type flashbacks happen. OR, maybe it's Black Widow: Budapest Initiative, just brainstorming here.

2. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's kind of like saying one character named James Bond couldn't sustain a whole movie. Black Widow could be a fine standalone movie/series if it had the right script and the right director.

I think a better angle would have been to pair up Widow and Coulsen as her handler, and play the two personalities off each other. That is sadly now not possible. I think Hawkeye, as portrayed in the movies, is a little too much like Widow in personality, they are both too hard.

A good example was how Happy was played off against the Widow in IM2, those were some of the best scenes in the movie, certainly the one's that I remember the most and still chuckle over. With Coulsen it wouldn't have been such a contrast with physical prowess; Coulsen could hold his own, but his understated sardonic humour played off against Widow's edginess.

3. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw the movie this weekend with my girlfriend (yes, I have one), and we both loved it! If I have any complaints, they are ones already mentioned here - the music was extremely bland and forgettable, even the theme song. There were also a few green screen effects that looked rather fake (when Scarlett was riding the alien bike thing), but I have seen worse in other big budget films.

Overall I agree that it is probably the best Marvel film I have seen so far, if not the best attempt at a superhero adaptation for the big screen.

4. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

The link also links to a statement from Norton's agent. The piece says that Norton is expected to comment. Did this ever happen?

5. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Just the typical spin doctoring you would expect from his representation.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

For me, that spot still belongs to The Dark Knight. The Mask of Zorro is pretty high on the list too if you want to count that as a superhero movie.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

TDK might be the best comic book movie as far as story, plot, acting, tone and in grounding the character and situations in a few ounces of "realism." But on pure ass-kicking entertainment value of bringing a comic book "to life" I think the Avengers did it very well.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

If we're talking pure fun and sensationalism, I'd probably go with Iron Man. And for impressive ass-kicking, I'd say Hulk. Sure, the movie had problems trying to be artsy, but it had some good action when the Hulk got going.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just got back from the cinema (2D Showing) and I fucking loved it and so did the friends who I went with. Solid story, great pacing, high octane action mixed with brilliant directing from Joss Whedon + some real great :lol: moments like..."Puny God". Infact by the end I thought HULK stole the show he was handled so much better by Whedon than in his last two outings though Norton did alright in his movie. So gutted that Phil died :( but thats Whedon for you especially after hearing reports he would be in Iron Man 3.

A- and I look forward to any sequel.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think folks who are convinced that it's such fine cinema so as to be surprised or offended when a professional critic like Roger Ebert gives it three stars and has a little dismissive fun with it in an overwhelmingly positive review are overrating it a bit. That doesn't mean it isn't a really cool fun movie.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, those actors as those characters sure as hell can sustain "a solid movie." It would probably be different in tone and less extravagant than Avengers - like, say, Captain America was.

If the only way one of these super-fantasy flicks can succeed now is to be as big as Avengers, then the genre is fucked.

12. Admiral James Kirk

I can't believe anybody on this planet would ever question the fact that Samuel L. "Motherfuckin" Jackson could sustain a solid Nick Fury movie. Shit, Jackson has saved more movies than any other actor I can think of. :)

Besides Jackson, I have little doubt that Scarlett could sustain a Black Widow movie. She was effective in both of her Marvel Studios appearances. I have my doubts about Renner's Hawkeye carrying a standalone, but I'm not familiar with his work outside of Marvel. For all I know the guy could be a fuckin' awesome actor.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I wonder how the movie will effect IM3, Thor 2/3, Hulk movies and Capt America 2/3. It will be a very very hard juggling act especially if the Avengers get its own trilogy.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, they've given him the Bourne franchise.

15. Admiral James Kirk

Really? Wow. That's confidence. :) I'll have to check the new Bourne. Thanks.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The Bourne Legacy
    Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
    The Town
    The Hurt Locker
    28 Weeks Later
    SWAT

I think he could handle his own movie but could the character? I think its best to have him like Black Widow appear in the other Marvel movies and not their own.

17. Admiral James Kirk

I've been wanting to check out M:I4 and The Town. I have no memory of him in 28 Weeks Later, so I'll have to pull that sucker off the shelf and check it out. I've seen The Hurt Locker, didn't care for it. SWAT any good? Thanks for the list though. You've given me an excuse to watch some movies and that's always welcome. :)

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, reading this I can't help but wonder if it was Joss who decided that Norton just wasn't right for his movie. Either because of the actor's abrasive personality, or because his Banner just didn't really work the way he thought it should.

19. Admiral James Kirk

Ed Norton has a tendency to demand creative control on his films. He comes in and rewrites the script to his specs and demands final cut. You can imagine how thrilled Joss-of all people-would be with that. :lol:

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Np ;) and SWAT its ok, a decent action flick worth a viewing some night. In 28 Weeks Later he was one of the snipers on guard when the outbreak occured and helped the kids escape.

Yeh especially with Joss being a much better writer than Ed :cool: