House: Series Finale. "Everybody Dies." Discussion/Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, May 21, 2012.

?

Rate: (Choose one for each category, please.)

1. Episdoe: Excellent

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Episode: Good

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Episode: Average

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Episode: Bad

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Episode: Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Season: Excellent

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Season: Good

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Season: Average

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  9. Season: Bad

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  10. Season: Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. Series: Excellent

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  12. Series: Good

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  13. Series: Average

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  14. Series: Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Series: Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I doubt it. They probably called him Moriarty because he killed (or tried to kill) House, in House's hallucination of him in the episode "Moriarty" was also a character-diagnosing foe to House.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Ah, yes. Forgot about that one. I guess, particularly because while he was a good foil for House in that episode, it didn't seem to be quite as "epic" as a confrontation between House and a Moriarty-style character should be. The most recent Holmes movie w/ Downy Jr. is a good example of how this should work, not to mention the various other such encounters that have happened in Holmes-based shows over the years.

This guy could have been an excellent adversary for House, had he been an ongoing character throughout the rest of the series. Hell, even Vogler and Tritter got more screen time that him.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Early in the show's run that's how I thought it was going to end, with House and Cuddy together.

I hated the torpedoing of that relationship in such a mean-spirited way.

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

In a way House was his own Moriarty. He is constantly fighting himself as we saw in this episode. Fight and live or die. Care for people or push them away. The battle is in his mind.

I was expecting this to be a 2 hour finale and was disappointed that the episode wasn't even extended a little bit. It seemed to rushed and used more to showcase all the characters who used to be on the show.

I can see in a way that this was the producers way of killing House and not killing House. He can make a fresh start. He is smart enough to get away with it. I just felt it all happened too much for a last ever episode. The character deserved more. It's good but weak to what they could have done.

They should have planned out the arc sooner, they knew Hugh Laurie didn't want to come back for a 9th season, why wait so long until it's near the end of the season to clarify that the show was ending whether the producers wanted it to or not.

5. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that you mention that, I remember posting that very comment at the end of season 6. THAT felt like a reasonable and satisfying way to end the series.

Maybe I should buy the DVDs through season 6 and pretend the rest never happened. :lol:

6. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I'm going to pretend the documentary never happened.

As to the episode, the first 55 minutes sucked. Who got the "brilliant" idea of doing a navel-gazing episode for a finale?

The last 5 minutes ... [​IMG]

7. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Misery.

...actually, it might be bacon. Probably bacon. Can I change my answer?

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Yeah, Kevin Bacon might have been good for the role. :D :p

9. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    Well the patient did offer! :lol: And he actually killed himself with the drugs he was so determined to keep using.

This I agree with. That they had the cancer doctor get cancer seems a little "cute".

What more resolution could there be? Cuddy was a part of his past that it would have been unhealthy for him to remain tied to. Their failed relationship, like his stint at the psychiatric hospital, had been a red herring to which he looked to solve his problems, but which realistically was never going to do that. Besides, she made it clear they were through, even before he drove his car through the front of her house, jeopardizing her life and those of her sister and her child. House going to jail for that and her leaving was the resolution to that arc. What did you think would happen, she'd come back and they'd live happily ever after?

Yep, agree. The season started off excellently and the end feels right to me, but in between there were at least several weeks where I thought "we are wasting the last season on insignificant episodes here."

It's not a "conspiracy theory," clearly it's what the episode presented as having happened. House deliberately manipulated Wilson and Foreman into "not helping" him, but they actually were helping him by acting exactly as he knew they would. And at every point he left them clues to follow. "Even when the plan wasn't working, it was working."

No he didn't plan for the roof to fall through, which is why after it does and he's lying there in pain with the flames licking his feet, he seriously considers just giving up and dying for real. The inner dialogue is him remembering where he is and what's going on through the heroin and reflects his subconscious mind at work: his desires to give up, to die, to fail, to be loved, to be saved, to change, etc.

House knows better than anyone that people don't change unless they are forced to. So he sets up for himself circumstances that will force him to change or die. He kills himself without actually killing himself. He didn't go there to die and then decide to fake his death instead, it was the other way around. He went there to fake his death and almost decided to die.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  10. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too. It was terrible. I really don't know why they went and did that, it didn't make any sense then, and it still doesn't.

Wasn't a fan of the special before the ep either... didn't mind most of the behind the scenes stuff, but one of the executive producers (don't know his name) and Hugh Laurie kind of rubbed me the wrong way attitude wise for some reason. They seemed to be pretty arrogant -_-, and it just kind of made the whole thing not the most fun to watch.

Didn't like how they explained the relationship between House and Cuddy. It seemed to be slip shod (not the word I was looking for, but it'll do), and they seemed to avoid it in a way. Saying that if House would have stayed in a relationship with Cuddy, that it would have been boring.

:rolleyes: is all I can say there. There were better ways for them to have handled that relationship than the way that they did there. It was bad writing period. No excuse for it.

They could have had them break up, and then House react to it in his usual way... but just not in an as extreme way as he did. That was going way too far.

The finale was ok, with House realizing that he had a life to live, outside of the hospital, with Wilson, who was sadly dying of cancer :( (that was the saddest part of the finale, I still gave a damn about him (Wilson, that is)).

Heck the best part of the finale was during House's 'funeral', everyone was saying nice stuff about him... and for a bit, Wilson did as well... and then he just came out with the truth and called him (House) out on his behavior and treatment of others. He really deserved what he got there from his friend (Wilson). It takes a real friend to call someone out like that.

That's pretty much me as well, it seemed rather arrogant and off putting (didn't mind the other actors and such, but still...).

Navel-gazing? Do you mean, weak on plot and such? I thought it was some what better than the shit fest we got during seasons 7 and 8.

Definitely :techman:.

Same. I was hoping to see her in one way or another during the episode.

Looks to have been that way :(. It stinks that her character got the short end of the stick in the end. Such a damn shame.

Yep :lol:. The best part of the episode. The two of them going out on the road and living life to the fullest.

Definitely. It was like a giant black hole and I noticed how they (the writers, etc.) treated the relationship aspect during the retrospective, and it's like they didn't really want to touch it.

I didn't either. Poor guy pretty much got neglected a lot during the series. He truly did deserve more.

So true. I haven't watched it since season 6. I only watched the finale to see what was going to happen. Other than that, I didn't really care -_-.

House was dead for me, which is sad, since I watched the show from the first episode, I did give up during part of it when it screwed up, but I came back once things were starting to look better... but then they had to drive the show off of the metaphorical cliff so to speak. That was the last straw, and I hadn't looked back since. Until last night.

Never felt that kind of hatred for a show, until this one. Sure I've disliked when shows start to go downhill, but this one is a first in the sense of not even caring enough to even watch it.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  11. Trekker4747

Probably the British accent. They tend to do that. ;)

12. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

By navel-gazing I was referring to suffering through an hour of current and former cast members popping up to remind us that House had a lousy bedside manner, was a self-centered jerk, ... blah blah blah. They were in a burning building, and they couldn't even make that interesting. [​IMG]

13. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

Bringing back Stacy and Cameron was much better than bringing back Cuddy would have been. It really brought home the point that it's nonsense to think Cuddy was House's one true love, or the only one who could love him, etc. The series was about House and his struggle with his own nature, not about whose boyfriend he is or isn't.

14. Trekker4747

It was a nice surprise to see Stacy back (though as someone said above, I suspect she was filling the Cuddy role in his hallucinations/inner dialogue.)

But part of what made House's (over)-reaction to losing Cuddy was that he lost Stacy and he didn't go on a bender and end up in prison due to his actions he just became slightly more of a miserable ass. House's reactions to losing Cuddy was just way, way, over the top and never jived with me on being true to the character.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Cuddy was still a huge part of House's life and not seeing her did indeed stand out. I hope we get more on what happened with Edelstein.

At first, this season wasn't being written as the last and I believe Laurie did say that he wouldn't mind coming back for a 9th. Once they got word that this would indeed be the end, they were able to put their closing arc into motion.

16. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

It's worth noting that Stacy was going to stay with him and he chose to send her back to her husband because he knew he'd only end up hurting her. The decision was his, and really he'd had years before that to resign himself to having lost her. Also, when Cuddy broke up with him he had just freshly relapsed in his drug addiction. (That's actually why she broke up with him, IIRC.) But I still do agree it was an overreaction. Whether it was out of character given the circumstances and his state of mind, maybe, maybe not.

17. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

In what way, exactly?

Yeah, it stood out as indicating that she's not a huge part of his life anymore! She was gone and she was not coming back. They'd both moved on.

18. Trekker4747

From what I've read she was asked but declined. The "break-up" between her and the producers was messy. Presumably they drove an Oldsmobile through her dining room.

Her break-up with him was actually a combination of him relapsing but mostly due to her realizing he's a selfish ass who'd "never be there for her."

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

When I said "still a huge part of his life", I didn't mean "presently". She was his boss for about a decade, maybe longer, and eventually became his girlfriend. Outside of Stacy, she was a bigger part of his life than pretty much everyone else he saw. That's why her not being there came off as trouble with the actress as opposed to a choice that served the story. I guess you could dismiss her absence as him blocking her out subconsciously, but still...

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Loved everything from the "death" scene and funeral on, but the rest was kind of "meh." Felt more like a season finale than a series one.

As soon as the phone started ringing at the funeral I got a big smile on my face and guessed what was coming. His text message was great and got a big laugh. The two songs at the end were perfect, as was House and Wilson riding off together.

It was an enjoyable ending, but I was hoping for more. I voted episode: good / season: average / series: excellent.