L&O: Criminal Intent 8x02 "Rock Star" - Jeff Goldblum debut

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chris3123, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was never really a big watcher of Criminal Intent. I really only watch the original and SVU. However, I like Jeff Goldblum, so I decided to start watching (well, at least the Goldblum episodes*).

For those who don't know: Detective Zach Nichols (Goldblum) is introduced this season as Det. Megan Wheeler's new partner, after her former parter, Mike Logan (L&O veteran Chris Noth) resigned at the end of last season.

I didn't think this episode was too bad. Nothing special, but ok. I like Goldblum's character enough.

Did anyone else watch it?

* Apparently, there are TWO pairs of detectives on CI. Each pair starring in alternating episodes.

2. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't get a chance to, but I've been looking forward to Jeff Goldblum's arrival.

Whenever I watch, I watch the Goren/Eames episodes, but I couldn't stand Logan, but I thought his partner was cool. So, I'll try to catch it on a repeat.

3. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

The episode plays again on Saturday at 11 PM. The USA site has a brief recap as well as a ton of other stuff worth poking around as well; handwriting analysis, alibi generator and some other cool features.

Loved Goldblum in the first episode, and it looks like Nichols is going to be a great character...can't wait to see more of him.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

He is awesome, they should fire the other two because I hate them. :)

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Seeing Jeff Goldblum as a detective takes me back. The first thing I ever saw Goldblum in was Steven J. Cannell's Tenspeed and Brown Shoe back in 1980, wherein he played a detective alongside Ben Vereen. Well, actually he played an accountant (Brown Shoe) who wanted to be a PI, and Vereen was a con man (Tenspeed) who somehow ended up being his partner in a detective agency. Ooh, it'd be cool if they could get Ben Vereen to do a guest spot in one of Goldblum's episodes. Except I'm not sure enough people remember Tenspeed and Brown Shoe for that to happen.

I think they're trying too hard to make Goldblum's character quirky, but he's doing okay with it. I didn't care for the resolution of the mystery, though. They just sort of set the manager guy up to be a target for the suspected killer, then followed him and kind of accidentally stumbled into figuring out that he was the killer (or one of them). And I think Goldblum essentially arrested and handcuffed the guy before he had any actual evidence to tie him to the crimes, since I think it was only afterward that he searched the guy's pocket and found the murder weapon. (And why would the manager be so stupid as to keep a knife he'd used to murder someone????) That's pretty incoherent.

6. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

Well, he kept it because he was going to kill the other kid with the same knife, that's why he was meeting him there in the apartment.

Also I'm pretty sure the kid had admitted to killing the other guitarist for the manager because Goldblum put him in handcuffs. check the 2 minute replay again
    Definitely liking Goldblum in the role, I think he's a bit quirky because that's what Goldblum does so well. That's his wheelhouse character and I'm glad that they've created Nichols like that.

7. Dave.Bowman

Dave.Bowman Ensign Newbie

I like Jeff Goldblum and his character is just offbeat enough to be interesting - his partner, on the other hand, is a non-entity - the sooner they replace her with a worthy foil to Goldblum's quirks, the more watchable the show will be.

8. CaptMurdock

CaptMurdock Commodore Commodore

The future birthplace of Capt. Christopher Pike
    Really. Bring back Alicia Witt!

9. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also did not get to watch because of work but I am looking forward to seeing Jeff on future shows. He is a great Actor.:techman: