DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The money is crap, the audience is tiny, why is a big fish like Nolan going to waste his time on something so peripheral?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

They just need to get rid of DiDio...which is going to be a hard thing to do since he seems to have Diane Nelson's support. So if Nelson is removed as CEO then perhaps there will be some kind of regime overhaul again. I doubt this will happen.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, I can't believe they had Platinum in the latest JL issue. I was hoping they'd forget the Metal Men entirely, or atleast maybe bring them back in a good way, maybe in a backup story that isn't grim or depressing. Their back up story from Doom Patrol a few years ago (written by the awesome team of Keith Giffen and JM dematteis) was great. Having a humorous, positive story in the New 52 would have been nice. Unfortunately, DC hates stuff like that now, which is why I was hoping dC would forget they exist. To be fair, Platinum seemed to be leading to something interesting, but I saw what they showed of Magnus. He's propably some young tech nerd now, and the Metal Men will probably just end up being military weapons that appear sometimes in the background.

Also, a bit off topic, but was I the only one who liked the Metal Men series where they were retconned into having been real people that Magnus had worked with, who he'd put into the bodies to save them? I thoiught that was interesting, and I was really annoyed when DC retconned that later to have all been in Magnus's head.

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Lantern Stewart will be sent off on a deep space mission.

6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Well... except star in Justice League/JLU in the early Aughts. ;)

7. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So?
    A whole generation of potential comic readers knew Hal as their first Green Lantern when they killed him.

Guess what eventually happened to that dead guy. Guess what happens to most dead guys in comic books.

(Unless this is the first arc you've ever read, I apologize for the spoiler of "Dead doesn't equal dead", especially once Bucky AND Jason Todd came back)

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

And Barry Allen.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But by the time they killed Hal, we were glad to see him dead.

I read this short story by Larry Niven about this criminal on death row, and some one is describing the execution process about how they are going to remove his organs safely and cleanly and then donate then all to the community organ bank, and they're saying that he was such a horrible criminal that they may not want his heart and lungs on moral grounds, because normal decent people shouldn't have to carry his unforgivable sins, and the whole way through, he's saying "Why, why did I do it? I'm such a horrible person" and then people are spitting on him, and then by page 7 where the story ends, the hero of the story says "why did I ever think I could get away with driving drunk?"

The house of cards that was Hal Jordan in the nineties was built on rotten foundations.

And then there was that giant debacal where Reed Richards sued him for stealing his whited out side burns.

Zero Hour was a frakking mercy killing.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course those guys came back, the people running DC don't give a s@#t about anything or anyone that happened after the Silver Age. Why else bring back two guys after they achieved who the f@#k are they status.

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was sort of being facetious and commenting on the fact that they don't seem to have any game plan left for their characters other than that.

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't worry, he will be back in the next universe reboot scheduled for just under three years from now.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

You're talking about the Mike Carlin/Dan Jurgens mini-series of about 1993/4?

Yeah, I liked that. And I liked how Magnus himself became one of the Metal Men at the end.

I was disappointed to learn a few years ago that that story was no longer in continuity. Much like the Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale Challengers of the Unknown story, which I also loved the heck out of. :)

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The funny thing is, I read that as "just under three HOURS from now..."

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read more than one where the fembot Silver was constantly hitting on Professor Magnus, and he was laughing it off. has there ever been a "continuity" where they just do it? I mean, why build a sexy fembot if it's not for sex?

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

And I bet you thought it was plausible!

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately most of these potential comic readers don't read comics so frankly imo their opinions shouldn't be considered. I'm looking at most hipsters/tumblr-users here that Marvel has spent all their time pandering to.

They also need to get rid of Jim Lee and Bob Harras too. Harras more than Didio now that I think about it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And when all the old fans die of old age then what are they supposed to do?

19. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point are Gwen Stacy and Uncle Ben still the only "big" characters still dead after a long time?

True, most don't. But can DC afford to not consider those who do?

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You are assuming that there aren't new people entering the fandom.