Spoilers TOS: Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Feb 21, 2013.

?

Rate Devil's Bargain.

1. Outstanding

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Above Average

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Average

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  4. Below Average

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Poor

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm about a third of the way through, really enjoying it so far.

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Got my copy yesterday, just need to finish the book "Wool", before I dive into this one.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:My copy should arrive in the mail soon.I look forward to raeding this one.

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Awaiting my copy. Perhaps i can get it started by Saturday.

5. Cuhl

Cuhl Captain Captain

Sorry - wrong thread.

6. Ronald Held

About a quarter into it. I knew the high level reason the colonists were staying long before it was revealed.

7. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I haven't purchased it yet, but the asteroid approaching the planet plot sounds a bit like Deep Impact or Armageddon, not that I'm complaining, sounds neat!

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Just picked up my copy yesterday, but at my local store they didn't know how many they had, since their system was saying 5, but they actually had 14 copies, and all 14 were in the "Hot And New Paperbacks" section.

9. Ronald Held

An asteroid destroying a planet has been done before in TOS but the partial means of its destruction seems unique as I am only halfway through.

10. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Reminded me of an episode. Yes I guessed what was going on, and the asteroid destruction is familiar, but I felt it was different enough to make the book worth reading.

11. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say, I really enjoyed reading this one. In a different way than I enjoy reading most of the novels.

This book really felt like an episode of the show. It was a fun adventure, you know? It was different, and I liked it.

I think... I guess it felt like an olden days novel, you know? It felt a bit like a "put the toys back in the toy box just as they where" story, like all of the novels used to have to be while Trek was on the air? I guess it was nostalgic in a way.

Mind you, I don't want the novels to go back to those days. They're passed now. But dipping your toe back into the pond again is fun now and again. :)

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just published my review. There's a lot to like in this one. I hope we get to see more from Tony Daniel in the future!

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kertrats47 I just read your review for Devil's bargain.After reading your review for this novel it makes me look forward to reading this book ASAP, .And i want to find out how this Tos story unfolds with the Horta.Your review was well written and made me intrigued about this novel's storyline Kirk's crew dealing with a crisis you emtione din your review.I'm glad Spock has an important role in this book.This book sounds like a winner.:techman:

14. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it! And I definitely think you'll enjoy the book.

15. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Enjoyed this. Felt much more like TOS then Allegiance in Exile.

Only cons were that kirk/hannah wasn't great, and every situation resolved a bit too easily.

Favourite bit was that it had the best reason for kirk being willing to get kicked upstairs that I've seen

16. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Ugh! I can't believe I read this one to the end. It was so poorly written it has me even thinking about no longer collecting Star Trek fiction. Some of the prose was just gosh awful as it reads on about a 5th grade reading level. I think the worst episode in season three of TOS would be more tolerable than this shlock. I don't even know if it's possible to recover after this. I think I have to go spend some time with some real science fiction in order to think clearly again.

Kevin

17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

This was a good book. I thought the Horta stuff was better than the stuff on the planet, and the love interest/Kirk stuff was just kind of generic romance stuff, but I liked the book.

18. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

The story wasn't bad. But some of the phrasing was a bit off and did take me out of the moment. I gave it average as it wasn't something all that wonderful. If it was better written, the same story would have gotten an above average if not for some of the writing.

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was a good book it only took me a few days to read. Need more kirk and spock :)

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Spock didn't sound quite right in some situations and I agree some of the language was a bit low level and the twists were easy to spot...but...but...but... for reasons I can't put my finger on I actually enjoyed this.