Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Ignoring seasons which, as Christopher points out, are much better than MMPR simply for nostalgia's sake really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but 'to each their own', I guess. However, the reccommendation to check out some of the later seasons - especially the 4 I mentioned - still stands.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If you want Amy Jo Johnson (and, really, who wouldn't?), she's co-starring in Flashpoint on CBS. She's still just as gorgeous as ever, even 17 years later. And an even better actress, with more seasoning.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Super Sentai that the 2011 Power Ranger's will adapt is based on Japanese Samurai's

Their helmets represent their japanese kanji

火 Fire for Red
    水 water for blue
    木 wood for green
    土 represents earth for yellow

天 sky for Pink

光 light for Gold

The Shinkenger's first henshin/transformation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlzw6LY6zmE

Female Shinken Red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqDbFfay_YE

From the other thread here are the cast descriptions. They're 90% identical to the Shinkenger's profile

[​IMG]
    ShinkenGold's transformation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om18RwkT50U

Genta/ShinkenGold does alot of mannerisms like Jim Carrey

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It was an ice show.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Power Rangers: Samurai Strike works for me. I'm glad they're getting things back on track.

I liked Jungle Fury, though I don't know how it compares to the rest because I haven't seen much before Operation Overdrive.

I just assumed you meant that there was an episode where they were frozen.

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

No, it's not, no title has been announced.

I'll wait until I see some episodes before I get excited, Saban has not only produced good stuff, but also a lot of crap in the 9 years he owned the franchise before, I don't believe the "Oh my God, Saban is so awesome!!!" stuff. I'm cautiously optimistic that the show will be good, but that's it.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm still bothered that the casting sheets said "All ethnicities" for most of the Rangers but specified "Caucasian" for the Red Ranger. That's rather backward of them, considering how many nonwhite Red Rangers we've already had.

I see they're still shooting in New Zealand. I guess that means we'll be seeing some more familiar actors from Hercules, Xena, The Matrix, Legend of the Seeker, or earlier NZ seasons of PR. (Although on LotS it generally went the other way, with former PR cast members showing up in guest roles there.)

8. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

I'm still waiting for a female red ranger, as in the main star not, as I recall, like in SPD.
    Though I guess that's not their fault, still can't imagine why they'd specify caucasian though.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Nope, full-blown ice show. Like Disney On Ice...but Power Rangers. At the end they fought a giant inflatable Lord Zedd! It was awesome.

10. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

My favourite 'new' (as in not the 80's) PR was Ninja Storm, which was my son's first PR experience. Dino Thunder was an even more resounding success in my household (not to mention Tommy's return) SPD and Mystic Force were also enjoyed, but we stopped watching after Mytic Force.

That said, this new PR looks like it might pique our interest again :techman:

11. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the original MMPR, with Rita Repulsa, and this looks like it will also be cool in the same regard. The YouTube clips look good, but I personally would want to watch it in Japanese with English subtitles... IMO, stuff like this always sounds better in Japanese.

12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Trippy, you really ought to check out RPM like I mentioned; it's definitely the best of the 'Disney-era' PR seasons, and even managed to knock Ninja Storm out of the top spot on my list of favorite PR season EVER (NS itself had beaten out stuff like PRiS, PRTF, PRLG, and MMPR S3).

Agent Richard07, JF is one of those seasons that gets maligned by a large portion of the PR fandom, although I personally liked it; it wasn't as good, IMO, as any of the seasons that cracked the top 6 in my list of favorite seasons, but it also wasn't as bad as a lot of people claim.

Another season that gets unfairly maligned, IMO, and which gets a 'watch' recommendation from me is Power Rangers Wild Force.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw a stage show where they fought an inflatable Lord Zedd, but it wasn't on ice.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Hmm. Maybe it wasn't on ice. It may have been at the United Center, where the Blackhawks play, so maybe that's why I'm thinking ice. Either way, it kicked ass.

15. Starbreaker

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's probably what I saw, although Chicago isn't listed among the tour cities. Again, I was 9, so I don't remember all the details (my memory prior to age 16 pretty much sucks).

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

You can download the entire season subbed at TVNIHON.com

I dropped Power Ranger's completely in 2004 to switch over to "Super Sentai"

It may have some WTH moments like this episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjEpsGWSrZI

Being turned into inanimate objects and the blue ranger becomes one of those peeing statues :lol:

but it's got lots of epic moments and the music is so much better.

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    At the very least, I'm hoping that, under Saban, the old series might start seeing some decent DVD releases. Disney never really seemed sure what to do with the property, the same way they diddled around with not doing proper DVDs for the 1990s X-Men cartoon.

Personally, I'd be really interested in some season sets for Zeo, In Space, some of the latter portions of MMPR, and the latter half of Turbo (mostly for Hillary Shepherd Turner as Divatox. "Viva la Diva!").

Although, if they could figure out a way to bring back Lord Zedd, that might be cool. I've also got soft spots for Rita Repulsa & Goldar.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^Yeah, I just love those villains! When they went away and a new team of Rangers showed up, I just couldn't care. It was a totally different show.

20. Starbreaker

Rita Repulsa, Lord Zedd, Goldar, and even Ivan Ooze were some of the most kickass villains ever. Even Squatt, Baboo, and Finster were fun bumbling idiots. I always loved the Rito Revolto/Goldar team ups.