Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Thanks!

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

I see this criticism leveled a lot, and while it's very valid, what Piller did say is that he had to create drama outside of the main cast, which he and the writers did. While it's unconventional writing to say the least, it still worked.

3. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I seriously hope not. I like Season 2 TNG. I can't fucking stand JJ-drek. Let's keep good and crap apart.

Eminently more preferable than anything to do with anything JJ.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Either would be awesome:techman:

6. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree lets keep the crap on season 2....

Seriously I loved the new Trek film with a few minor issues that I hated. But thats abetter average then all but i TOS film, and all but one TNG film. So out of the gate I was exceedingly pleased by the new Trek.

When I think of the huge hit and miss ratio of the first two years of TNG, or the third season of TOS, I can't realistically be overly hard on the new film, even with the issues I did have with it.

But back on this set, I can't wait to see the show has it did improve not so much in plot (which was still in many cases poor), but it character. With the actors and writers getting a better feel for the characters, it really shows.

Add to that a general production team that has learned a lot from the efforts of the previous year, and it shows.

Luckily Trek has always been a show where I celebrate what I like over what I don't. I never would have fallen in love with TOS in the late 60's very early 70's if that wasn't the case.

But I think I am in general far more critical of entertainment then what I see of a lot of posters (seriously what the hell is an A+, never in my life have I had a teacher or professor award that grade, and seriously no Trek has ever been 100% perfect, thats just laughable).

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Agree to greatly disagree. "The Measure Of A Man' and "Q, Who?" two of my favoured Trek episodes.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Any word on when they are going to do the theater showing for selected two episodes of season two TNG? Probably few days before the Bluray release like season one?

Sadly, I missed the season one special showing.

I still have my doubts they are going to show The Measure of a Man as one of the episodes. It is a great episode, but not something that would be enhanced much being on the big screen. I can see the kids in the audience not enjoying a court episode all that much.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Gotta do Q Who

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Would you be happier if they only released a making of preview for STXII on a seperate dvd and packaged it with the TNG BR set? That way, people that are interested in the next movie can watch/keep it while those that don't can easily discard it.;)

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The best part of season two is Riker growing the beard. He looked so much better without the baby face!

12. Rory1080p

Rory1080p Lieutenant Red Shirt

can't wait, it releases here in the UK 2 days before my birthday :D the borg in HD :D

13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

It would be cool to see the new trailer on the set---but only if it was on the first disc. Nothing like what was done with the TOS Movie Blu-Ray set where each disc opened with the exact same trailer---I could at least understand if it was just on the discs for Star Trek The Wrath Of Khan, The Voyage Home & Undiscovered Country (since those have been released seperately), but all 6 was tooo much.

I would say that the best episode of Season 2 was The Outrageous Okona! "I'm annoyed because you're a droid!"

14. mswood

Those are two great episodes of TNG, no question and the best two episodes up to that point of TNG. But in no way shape or form do those two episodes represent the average quality of season two. It would be like saying Shades of Grey and Manhunt represent the quality of season two.

15. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I liked "Manhunt." :D

16. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like season 2 overall. I think it's a lot better than season 1 or the later seasons.

In fact I'd probably put it right behind season 3 and 4 as far as my overall favorites. The highs are really high, and there's only a few lows that are really low. (outrageous okona, shades of gray, up the long ladder, the child i'm lookin at you)

Matter of Honor, Q Who, Measure of a Man, Where Silence has Lease, Contagion, The Royale, Time Squared, Pen Pals, The Emmisary, Peak Performance are all favorites of mine. Even most of the lesser episodes of season 2 aren't that bad.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  17. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Agree 100%, and it also had some really high-concept sci-fi in "Contagon", "Time Squared", and "WSHL" as well as retaining a more adventurous feel than in some of the later seasons.

18. mswood

Where Silence Has Lease, Contagion, The Royale, Time Squared are all episodes that have concepts I like, but I only would grade Contagion has even a C, the others below that. But in fact there is a lot of season two like that for me, things that have interesting concepts, but whose execution isn't strong in my opinion. I wold also had Loud as a Whisper (interesting idea, poor final product), Up the Long Ladder (again like the basic idea behind it, but hate the execution.

2nd season I love Q-Who and Measure of a Man 5 Stars in my Book (basically Great Trek).
    Chain of Command 4 Stars
    Elementary Dear Data good 3.5 Stars
    Peak Performance, Pen Pals, Emissary 3.0 Stars
    Only shows I would consider above average

Contagion, The Dauphin (I liked the Wesley part the most, go figure), THe Schizoid Man 2.5 stars (average)

THe rest below average
    Where Silence Has Lease, Time Squared 2 Stars
    The Child, Unnatural Selection, Icarus Factor, Up The Long Ladder 1.5 stars
    THe OUtrageous Okona, Loud as a Whisper, The Royale, Samaritan S7are, Man hunt 1.0 stars
    Shades of Gray half a star (if I am in a good mood).

So 12 dislike (of which 7 I really, really dislike), 3 I find to be average, 7 I think are better then average (with two classics in the mix).

So while this is an improvement over season one, its more misses for me then hits. But I do like a lot of the improvements the show did make.

And again, Trek is one of teh few shows where I love it even when I think its doing poor work. Celebrate the wins, and enjoy the moments or small bits in the episodes I dislike.

All most all other shows I would never watch with scores lie this (certainly not watch dozens upon dozens of times).

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chain of Command was the Season 6 two parter. Did you mean another episode?

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think mswood meant A Matter of Honor. It was the only episode she didn't mention in her post and it WAS a pretty good episode.