Blackest Night Disussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah I've sworn off buying new issues but I had to get Blackest Night. I'm waiting on the trades for the GL and GLC tie-ins unfortunately. Sucks since apparently all the rainbow corps stuff is happening in there and that's what I'm really interested in not the zombie stuff.

2. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Blackest Night might bring DC back out of the borefest that was Final Crisis.

3. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blue is also from scratch. While it's a splinter of Green, it only recently made its debut, unlike the Qwardian rings and the Star Sapphire gems.

(by the way, I'm completely tickled that the powers that were created in the Silver Age: Green, Sinestro, and Sapphire, are the ones leading the newer colors into battle.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Issue 6 is out... how the hell are they going to wrap all this up in just two more issues? Nekron is still just standing around a cemetery from his initial arrival. The heroes have accomplished next to nothing. This feels like it's barely halfway through the story. The coolest part of this issue was definitely
    the surprising characters getting rings. Scarecrow joins the Sinestro Corps. The Atom joins the Indigo Tribe. Mera joins the Red Lanterns. Barry becomes a Blue Lantern. Lex friggin' Luthor joins the Orange Lantern(s). Wonder Woman joins the Star Sapphires. Ganthet becomes a Green Lantern.
    Yowza! The other question is why is Earth in particular so important? Because it's the foundation of the 52 I guess?

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The final issue has been released! Spoilers! Well the ending didn't really blow me away, it was more adequate than anything else. There didn't really seem to be any sacrifice or cost for defeating Nekron. If anything the ending was too happy. A whole bunch of characters get ressurected... I dunno how I feel about that. Particularly some who died 5 or more years ago like Max Lord! With so many characters coming back, including the Anti-Monitor, this doesn't feel so much like the end of a story but a mere shifting of gears. I wish Martian Manhunter had stayed dead longer it's only been what a year?

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope they keep all the different color Corps. I think that was a neat idea.

7. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

I think it really, really dragged in the middle. They could have really tightened this up but it seemed it was simply directionless for a while.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure I read in an interview that the different Corps will be sticking around, that the long term goal of this storyline was to introduce a new bevvy of characters and organizations for the DCU to play with for years to come.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the questions the I hope THE BRIGHTEST DAY is gong to adress is why these particular heroes returned and not any number of other dead characters. Why Aquaman ans Hank Hall but not Ralph and Sue Dibney. It can't be the Oracle explanation that they're so great in their current role that "we" don't want to undo things. They've barely appeared since they became "ghost detectives" at the end of 52.

10. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Be that as it may, Ralph and Sue are indeed the Detective Ghosts now and likely will remain so.