Allemaraine....Third Shap

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

:klingon::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh:

This is the episode that stopped me from watching DS9 in 1993. I was already a little dissappointed up until then, but after sweating through.... "Thialo... aga... aga... allamaraine...
    nolo... Ferengi nolo... thialo..."

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think that episode is seriously over-hated. It could have been a great episode if they'd just thought of better obstacles than they did.

Come on, trapped in a board game? That's an awesome premise. Maybe a better premise for TNG or Voyager than DS9.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always kinda liked the episode.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

OP be damned, this is now the thread for people who kinda like Move Along Home. :)

Hi, I'm Tosk. And I liked Move Along Home.

5. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a better episode than "Q-Less." :lol:

6. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Its still better that 90% of the crap they spewed out in series 1 and 2 of TNG lol

Anyway If wishses were horses is a billion times worse.

7. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't even say 'If Wishes Were Horses' is that bad. There is a certain bizarre did-David-Lynch-direct-this quality but it's not "bad".

Now 'The Passenger'.....that one was painful to watch.

8. Shatna

Shatna Grand Lord Admiral Admiral

What is generally considered to be the "Masks" or "Spock's Brain" of DS9? This one? Let He Who Is Without Sin? Profit and Lace?

9. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

"Let He Who Is Without Sin" at least has the merit of being set on Risa, with all the hints of hedonism and titillation that implies. I watch it with the sound off and the occasional fast-forward.

I didn't think "Move Along Home" was bad. It had some good Quark moments, and developed his character nicely. The bizarre nature of the episode highlights the alien-ness of the Wadi. Too few aliens in Trek are made truly weird.

10. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

Probably 'The Muse' but I wouldn't discount 'Second Sight' either.

11. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Captive Pursuit was/is a bright spot in a hapless first season.

"Piece....of....cake.....O....Brien...."

Loved Tosk

12. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Photon, did you end up watching the rest of the series? I know you said you stopped in 1993, but did you pick it back up later? Just curious.

13. Shatna

Shatna Grand Lord Admiral Admiral

Since we're sharing, I stopped watching after "The Circle" and with the exception of happening to catch (and enjoy) the Gabriel Bell arc, I didn't touch DS9 again until Worf's arrival. I know, I got sucked in.

14. JirinPanthosa

I like If Wishes Were Horses too.

I thought Profit and Lace was considered DS9's worst episode. And The Muse is terrible too.

15. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Me too. I don't get the hate for Move Along Home.

16. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

Troo dat it's a great episode. I mean, they are trapped in a BOARD GAME that is SO COOL! It's one of my fave season 1 episodes!

17. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I feel the opposite way - the Risa stuff was eye-rolling, while the "plot" was merely boring and kinda dumb. While it truly is one of the worst episodes of DS9, that mostly is because DS9 was generally pretty good - it would be an average TNG ep, or above-average VOY. It's certainly not at "kill it with fire" level like some people claim.

18. JirinPanthosa

The problem with Let He Who Is Without Sin is that Worf's reaction wasn't believable for his character. Yes Worf may share that guy's feelings about hedonism but he knows better than to think that because humans indulge in pleasure that they're unprepared for war, he's served with them in enough wars. And he would never be taken in by a ridiculous Fox News stereotype cult of personality.

Also the relationship conflict had already become annoying and forced by that point. It was basically a sitcom with terrorism.

19. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Meridian.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Nah, Meridian at least has the Quark/Tiron subplot. The Muse gets my vote. Followed closely by Profit and Lace. :)