Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. Wasn't there some sort of rights issue preventing him from doing the Ripper TV movie for BBC?

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Which I guess they make money off as well? I guess they would love him to make anything with buffy on the front as that's money in the bank for them.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Whedon doesn't control the TV rights outright. He may own a piece of the TV rights, but he can't shop the property around. Fox TV owns the TV rights and anything Whedon did in the medium in terms of a Buffyverse continuation would have to be under Fox TV's auspices.

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

According to the most recent interview regarding the Ripper proposal that I can find, it does sound like a complicated rights situation with Fox TV, the Kuzuis, the BBC, and so on.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Well, I personally think a remake of TWOO is pointless. But at least, as has been pointed out, the original is 70 years old and an update can maybe be justified on technical grounds. Plus it's based on a novel to begin with, so it wouldn't just be a remake, it would be another adaptation of the novel.

Frank L Baum and the makers of the original movie are all long dead, so the makers of this movie cant' involve them, no matter how much they want. Joss Whedon and crew are all very much alive, thankfully, and it seems totally disrespectful - not to mention plain dumb - to me to revive the franchise without their involvement.

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So true. Buffy is one of those great shows that people are all too ready to dismiss only because of its title and subject matter, and that you have to work hard to convince your friends to watch. I get people laughing when I tell them I like the show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer (of course, from those who have never watched a single scene from it). You'll get a similar kind of prejudice with Battlestar Galactica, or anything Star Trek, or any space opera. But with Buffy, it's even worse, possibly also because of the 1992 movie. Can you believe the irony that I know people who ridiculed Buffy without having seen it, while their favorite shows are Heroes and Smallville?

As for the reboot... well, to quote the Slayer herself: Let me take the opportunity to not care.

I am following the comics continuation, and while it would be great to have some sort of film/TV continuation of Joss's Buffyverse, there would be issues with anything involving Spike or Angel or other vampire characters... what with the whole "not aging" thing that is getting harder to sell with every passing year, which isn't much of a problem when you're watching them over seasons and getting used to it, but after a break of some 6-7 years... it would be a bit more obvious.

That pic is brilliant. :guffaw::lol: DB is at his best when he's being goofy.

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Which part of

- an appealing, not mousey-faced lead actress and
    - film-length brevity

do you not understand? ;)

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd be jumping to do it if offered the opportunity (not saying it'd be great), I can't blame her for wanting to do it.

Assuming those Buffy TV producer credits are legal obligations Fran Rubel Kuzui hasn't had much more experience.

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I just think it's rediculous because it's one of those things that's not nearly old enough to warrant a remake. It's like that talk about remaking The Crow.:rolleyes:

It seems like David Boreanaz has his hands full with Bones anyway. Meanwhile, James Marsters seems more than ready to leave Spike behind him. (I met him at this year's Phoenix ComicCon and he spent quite a bit of it slagging off on Joss Whedon and talking about how they never got along and that any new live action Buffy production would not involve Spike.)

A travesty but it was still in continuity.;)

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never knew James didn't get along with Joss. Yes, Joss is still working on the comics continuation which will be going into 'season nine' once he completes the finale to 'season eight' which he's writing himself right now. I believe that there will be a hiatus in between seasons as well just like if the show were still on the air.

One thing this news has demonstrated is that fans are still as passionate about Buffy as they were when the TV series was going.

11. Witterquick

Witterquick Captain Captain

Wha ... are they even trying? Is this going to be like the A-Team reboot?

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Excited to reboot it for "modern times?"

Because 2003 is like ancient history! WTF? Willow only has a crappy white MacBook?! I totally can't relate to that. In the reboot she will have an Android phone and research demons with her 4G connection!

Angel's Gipsy curse will be found on Jenny's Calendar's Facebook page instead of a floppy disc!

13. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They never got along? If that's how Joss treats actors he doesn't get along, I'm sure every actor would love to not get along with him! :lol: I have never had a chance to meet James (or anyone else from the show), but the impression I got from his interviews I've seen and read and fan reports, is that he seems a little... whimsical, and I wouldn't be surprised if he next changed his opinion 180 degrees. In his old interviews, he used to gush about how wonderful BtVS was and about his co-stars and writing and how great it was working on it. Maybe he's angry that Joss hasn't tried to give him a role on any of his other projects like Jane Espenson did, but same can be said for many of the other actors from Buffy/Angel.

14. Admiral_Young

I suppose the modern times is referring to the actual original film and not the television series, even still it's not like 20 years ago was that long.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, I suppose. I've never watched the original film because I've heard nothing but crappy things.

16. Admiral_Young

The original film isn't soooooo bad but then it's not great either. The comic book "The Origin" pretty much gives a better depiction of what Joss's script would have been like without of all the problems he had with the movie. I can't even say the original movie is a guilty pleasure.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But the original movie, which is all the filmmakers have the rights to draw on, is from 1992.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Scary. It's like the Dark Ages!

19. Admiral_Young

I pointed that out in my post.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's scarcely necessary for some bottom-feeders to make a movie based on an old TV show in order to find an abundance of both those things at the box office - and if you imagine that either lead actress or movie is likely to be at all remarkable in this case, you're very lightly informed. :lol:

Can't wait to see how they budget this turkey...hope they can afford lights.