Is TOS really part of Trek Canon?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by YARN, Aug 27, 2010.

1. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

The show is so old and out of date now that it seems like it would just be easier to leave it out.

Why confuse new fans with two different Captain Kirks or Klingons who don't like Klingons? Why not just erase the cheesy design of the original Enterprise?

With new Trek in place, can't we finally, thankfully drop TOS out of official canon?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Sure... as long as you take everything that originated within that show out of the later series. But then you really wouldn't have anything, would you?

We should take God out of the Bible too. The concept really is kind of cheesy. :rolleyes:

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

YARN--Though I would love for the cheesy and the sexist elements of TOS to be removed just as much as you would, the only trouble with that is that with the change in the timeline, NONE of the events that followed, to include TOS (and the TOS movies), TNG (and the TNG), DS9, and VOY, would have happened the same way.

ENT is the ONLY series those two timelines have in common. (And there's even reason to suspect ENT might have played out slightly differently, given the Borg temporal incursion and the Temporal Cold War, and the different theories that could be applied to those events.)

4. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I feel a bit silly saying this but this sounds like a troll specifically designed for a Star Trek board.

I can understand new fans not being into the original Trek, but if you think it's so bad as to say that, it then surprises me you'd like any Trek at all.

And for what it's worth, I'm 37 and became a Trek fan in 1986 all due to TOS (no TNG yet) but still absolutely loved the new movie.

5. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

Did someone really just ask if TOS was cannon :scream:

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

oh noes! da Canon!

7. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

With retroactive continuity anything is possible.

We might regard TOS as a sort of honored rough draft which got the universe started up.

8. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

The thing is when you think about it, the whole reason we got this new movie that was so much fun was not because they felt the original Star Trek was old and needed fixing but because it was the best and most fun one to build off of.
    Kirk, Spock McCoy and the rest provide the most excitement and fun and so many other great adjectives for us that that was the best thing they could do for a new movie.

9. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Unsubscribe.

10. GalaxyClass1701

NO all Trek Cannon stems from TOS if TOS is not then niether is TNG, VOY, DS9, or ENT.

11. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

But now we have a new ship in a new universe with new actors, so why not just say that the story starts with the last film? A fresh start.

12. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

But.. That's not the way it happened.

13. BillJ

I really find this hilarious. Star Trek contributed so much to Modern Trek it isn't funny. I'm pretty sure Modern Trek would fall apart without those elements. And every series has made specific nods to that time period and the events of Star Trek.

McCoy in Encounter at Farpoint
    Scotty in Relics
    Spock in Unification
    Kang, Kor and Koloth in Blood Oath
    Sulu in Flashback
    The Defiant from In a Mirror, Darkly
    Spock Prime in Star Trek 2009

And many, many more.

Most people like the sense of history that the franchise has and part of that history is Star Trek.

14. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

and i don't think fans are confused that nukirk is played by someone else.
    it would be more confusing if old fat william shatner was playing a young man.

15. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

More like a joke, but sooner or later someone will say it in earnest, so this thread serves as a sort of thought experiment or exercise for folks who really take these boundaries seriously.

16. BillJ

People have been saying it in earnest for years now. the joke isn't funny. :rolleyes:

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

A new Star Trek starts with the last film. It is a fresh start. No TOS, TNG, DS9 or VOY. ENT lies 100 years in the past and won't be relevant to whatever the new Enterprise crew get up to.

18. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

If you really want to see something funny, post this in the TOS forum. Make some popcorn, grab a brew, sit back and enjoy!

19. GalaxyClass1701

A new Star Trek starts with the last film. It is a fresh start. No TOS, TNG, DS9 or VOY. ENT lies 100 years in the past and won't be relevant to whatever the new Enterprise crew get up to.[/QUOTE]

I disagree al of those still happened JJ is a seperate universe.

20. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Abrams and Co have already said so.