Did anyone ever play Starfleet Academy on the P.C?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Infern0, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had this game when I was a Kid, it was pretty cool I thought, you played as the captain of a crew of cadets doing Holodeck missions, it was also kind of a "choose your own story" game where FMV videos played and your decisions affected the story. The best part was the appearances from Shatner and company it was great to see them again and they actually put some effort into their performances.

The game came on 6 discs and included a novelisation of the game which was a fun read.

[​IMG]

2. yochenhsieh

yochenhsieh Lieutenant Red Shirt

In fact, it's 5 discs, plus 1 expansion "Chekov's Lost Missions" which must be purchased separately.

The movie clips and music are really nice, but poor control makes it difficult to play on PC.

3. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember seeing Chekovs Lost Missions on vacation and pleading with my parents to get it for me (i was like 9 or 10 at the time) but they wouldnt, i never saw it again, might ebay it just to see what it was all about

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, owned it, and played it quite a bit (along with "Chekov's Lost Missions" when that add-on was released.)

5. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At one point I had Klingon Academy (which I believe was the last game in that series) and it had something ridiculous like 6-8 disks.

6. yochenhsieh

yochenhsieh Lieutenant Red Shirt

Klingon academy has 6 discs, the first is used for install game and others for the video clips.

I never played any game that has more than 6 discs, though.

7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Still have them both......I even have the USA DVD version of SF academy.....and the original sound track cd.

Oh and you can take your six original Klingon Academy discs and put them onto one DVD.

http://www.klingonacademy.com/view.php?pg=kadvd

8. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Was there a version of this game on console? I vaguely recall playing a Starfleet Academy game on a Super Nintendo many years ago.

9. Haggis and tatties

Yeah there was a Snes version and sega 32x version, with no movie cut scenes or the graphical detail of the PC, although they were still very playable.

10. speckledpig

speckledpig Ensign Red Shirt

I really enjoyed Starfleet Academy. The FMV sequences were well produced; everyone should see them just because of the production quality. It felt like a real film.

SA, however, paled in comparison to Klingon Academy with its advanced technology. The "ginsu" method of damage was very effective and well implemented. I remember following the forums for quite a while into the development of Bridge Commander. There was a guy from Paramount (Harry?) who would join in the discussion frequently.

11. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

This was my very first Star Trek pc game. The cutscenes and music were really nice, and I liked the stories behind the missions. I later got the Lost Missions add-on at a discount sale, but I don't think I ever managed to beat all of its missions. (I remember one with a bunch of old ships stuck in orbit somewhere, where I always ran out of time.)

12. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Hey I'm curious, was the DVD version playing higher quality videos of the cut scenes?

years ago I met the guy that played the vulcan cadet, he was in town for an acting job.

13. Haggis and tatties

Yeah the DVD version clips were of a higher quailty which is no doubt why the disc uses 7 gig of space, the problem is that the movies are in some DVD decoding Interplay proprietary video format, and even though it states on the box is MPEG2 i have never been able to run the game totally, all i have managed to do is get the game running but no movie clips would play.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  14. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

YES and I still have the original CD:D

15. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is this playable on windows 7 ? I cant find any info on that

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yep still have it, but I bought the bonus edition which included Checkov's Lost mission. So you don't have to buy it seperatly.

17. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

I somehow ended up with two versions. I have a long box set that the case almost looks like those old CD boxes. and another 5 disc Interplay set that came with New Worlds and I think Starfleet Command. I had fun when I played through it once with a joystick. But since it took it so long to get used to the game play I never wanted to go back and do it again.

18. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Bought it in 1999, beat it in 2002, and had a good time with it. I also liked the game play and that the Gorns were protrayed pretty good, loved the Gorn mask/puppet they used. Thought M'Giia was cute and I did find it funny that despite your ships having different names, "Enterprise" "Relient" and "Excellsior" were the names on the ship. :)

19. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I used to play it, still got the discs.

If you want a challenge, try going into the create a mission mode, giving yourself a single excelsior class ship and going up against seven Klingon supercruisers.

That's fun. And actually doable quite easily if you know the trick. (You gotta disable the one that's furthest away from the others and then tractor beam it so you can ram the other ships with it. It destroys the two ships very quickly.)

20. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Fun game with great cutscenes. It was quite a memorable game even if the ship to ship combat didnt feel absolutely right.

Klingonacademy did better in this regard