Si I finally saw Moulin Rouge!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I was with a friend of mine and it was one of her favorite films ever, but I was really going on the recommendation of a certain well-known internet reviewer, Confused Matthew, who claimed this as not only his favorite film, but also said (in the epilogue of his review of the film) that the film had the most well-constructed screenplay of any film he'd ever seen. anyone who has seen one of his "reviews" knows that all he is really interested in is story and character, and doesn't talk about other aspects of film making all that much (I'm not saying that this is a bad thing,but I just wanted to point it out. Yeah.)

So my initial reaction:

Anyone who likes - or especially those who love this film - should also love Joel Schumaker's Batman and Robin. Both films have extremely thin stories (that in itself isn't a bad thing) and both are extremely over-produced. Yeah, you heard me. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Think about the fact that, with what looks like an edit nearly every second (or even more) that there must be a new camera set-up to get that angle, makes you realize that this film is nothing but an over-produced and yet ultimately hallow exercise, a plodding experience that is the ultimate of self-indulgence for the film-makers. I'd probably go easier on them if they just admitted it (after all, the band Rush admitted that their first recorded instrumental a little masterpiece of musicianship called La Villa Strangiato, was "an exercise in self-indulgence.")

Some aspects are not lost on me, like the value of the dual ending, - that the fantasy ending before the curtain closes is happy, and, as soon as it closes and we are now in "reality" is actually tragic, but the film seems so high on itself to constantly remind us that we are supposed to just surrender and give into it's spell, and I didn't buy it.

And one more thing about the editing: Jonathan Frakes said something very interesting during his First Contact commentary about editing. He said that all the people involved in the production tend to lean to faster editing, because their ayes and their brains already know what they have seen in a shot and they always have an idea of what they will see next and their brains have already done half the work as a scene plays out, but an audience has not seen it, and the brain needs a beat or so - a bit more time - to settle in on what it is seeing because because, to the audience, each shot is new. The filmmakers working on Moulin Rouge have not learned this lesson. I don't think Christopher Nolan truly learned this lesson either.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hated the story.

I loved the music.

I never picked up the DVD, just the soundtrack.

3. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Naw.

I loved it. I thought it was gorgeous, and the music as a lot of fun.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think you got the gist of my comment.

First, I actually didn't mind some of the music, considering I am not a fan of musicals. The rendition of the Queen song The Show Must Go On was actually really good.

I was talking about the fact that the film was so over-produced, that like a rubber band it would snap at any moment.

5. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's just Baz's schtick I believe. I don't think he was trying to make some great art, but rather just a slick tragedy.

6. IndyJones

No, I got what you were saying. I responded, and in a new paragraph added my own thoughts on the film.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I rather enjoyed it myself, though my opinion of the songs ranges from "awesome" to "grating". I think it would be that I like the music sung in the film but I don't care so much for the "source music"...not sure I'm expressing that right.

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

So you don't like "music video editing" or musicals is what you're saying.

That is fine, but if you don't eat meat you can't be expected to judge the flavor of a steak fairly. Nor should I take your opinion on the topic as having any value.

For my part, it is absolutely one of my favorite films. I can appreciate that it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I personally have a weakness for slick editing, art direction and "right in the feels" writing though.

9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

At first I thought you were replying to me. :p

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I watch it at least once a month. Odd as it seems, whenever I'm in a funk it makes for a great guilty-pleasure pick me up. Good music, lush visuals, and Nicole Kidman :techman:

11. IndyJones

...Ewan McGregor. :techman:

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have seen Moulin Rouge once, I absolutely hated it. I was so bored I had to force myself to finish it. I'll never watch it again. Mawkish and I completely agree with the over produced comment, though I think that was look was intended.

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I hated Moulin Rouge. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever. It had all those great actors and lavish sets and yet was nothing more than two hours of vacuous crap.

I don't understand its popularity at all.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Guilty pleasure, least for me. I just love the look and the feel of the world. I will grant ya' the story is a bit on the light side and doesn't take a lot of investment from the watcher.

A really funny and pretty dead on review by the Nostalgia Critic in regards to Moulin Rouge.

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

My ex from a few years ago loved that movie, it was one of her favorites ever.

She tried to get me to watch it with her once, but turned it off about ten minutes into it because she said I looked like I was in pain watchin' it.

The theater had a quote/sing along for it this past month, but I missed it 'cause of my work schedule. I did think about goin', though...

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Critic pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. Thin story, iffy moments? Sure. Engrossing as hell, fun to watch, glorious music? Oh yes. Total guilty pleasure, but Baz just nailed it.

17. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Moulin Rouge is both one of my wife's and mine favorite film. In fact we love it so much that the song Come What May was our first dance wedding song. I can understand it isn't everyones cup of tea, something like this can polarizing.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I brought it home thinking it was something the wife would like. She bailed after 20 minutes, but I really liked it.

19. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

I so want to make a prostitute joke, but I just can't...

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

From reading this thread, you'd think it's a Marmite film - you either love it or hate it. I'd like to go on record saying it was OK. Enjoyable but not great and with quite a few flaws.