Cover and blurb for TOS: The Weight of Worlds

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Great cover but a little too much yellow and orange for me.

2. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know who made them, but the portrait elements have been appearing on Trek stuff for a little while now (few examples). Including Walls360 stickers, which you can get in sizes up to 2.5m tall! So if you really wanted to, you could recreate this cover in giant form!

3. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Looks like you hit on it 8of5. I knew there was something familiar about it:)

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Wonder if Pocket got permission to use those images from Walls360? :eek:

5. 8of5

I don't know if they actually originated from Walls360 (first place I can be remember them), but if they did, they belong to CBS now as a Star Trek licensed thing. Alternatively maybe CBS decided to commission some new art which they can supply to various licensees to use to various ends; in this instance to make a book cover. As I mentioned they've shown up a few places: The Deck Building Game, printed fabrics, the image of Picard in the preview pages of On Board the Enterprise is one too.

It's not that unusual to see something originate from one licensee and then get used elsewhere. Images from the Haynes Manuals, IDW (and indeed various other comics), the QUOGs and Trexels sub-brands, etc have all appeared on a variety of different products.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

True story. Years ago, when I edited the novelization of GARGANTUA (this TV-movie knockoff of GODZILLA), I had to use the art from toy packaging on the cover, because that was the only approved image available at the time.

So, yeah, it's not unusual for the same tie-in art to pop up on different products.

7. 8of5

Just a matter of time until a novel starring a Chelon demands the use of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Starfleet uniform action figures grace a book's cover then :P

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The cover reminds me of some of the 1985 covers for the Bantam books, like "Devil's World" or "The Starless World".