NHL Offseason 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Savage Dragon, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well the playoffs are over and the long, bleak months of no hockey are ahead of us so I thought I would start a thread for the offseason.

To start off it looks like Alfredsson will be returning to Ottawa for another season.

Tampa will be using a compliance buyout on the remainder of Vincent Lecavelier's contract. Link

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Compared to how long the last offseason was, I'll gladly take the long bleak months if it means we're getting Hockey in October.

3. Savage Dragon

Good point.

4. Savage Dragon

Cory Schneider has been traded to the New Jersey Devils for the 9th overall pick in this year's NHL Draft.

5. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I'm not actually hugely surprised by this. Lu is still an elite goalie. I'm kinda disappointed Canucks only got a 9th pick for Schneider though.

6. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

After that season long boondoggle, I thought most Canuck fans would be happy it's over. Gillis has really screwed that team up and it'll be interesting to see how long it goes on for before the owner pulls the plug.

The Leafs made a good pickup in Bolland, someone who can be that bit of sandpaper that they needed this playoffs.

What were the Panthers thinking not taking Jones? On a team where you have absolutely nothing, Jones can be that cornerstone to build from. I don't think you'll ever see that from Barkov.

7. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Luongo sell his condo in Vancouver? I was under the impression he had mentally checked out from the team likely under the assumption he'd be playing elsewhere next season. If the guy's head isn't there because he thinks he's been mistreated by management, the Canucks are going to have a mighty long season (and not in the good playoffs way) AND they got rid of Schneider who could become their long-term solution.

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah I am a little worried about that. However I read online Aquilini spoke to Luongo before they traded Schneider. That plus how professionally Lu handled the whole situation, I'm thinking things could work out.

9. Obiwansolo18

Obiwansolo18 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Best news ive got since the release of bryz, flyers gonna get lecavelier

10. Sheep

Wow, Penguins bet the farm that they'll win this year by signing Letang to that giant deal. In 2014-15, seven guys on their roster will account for approximately 69% of the salary cap. Even if they do win the Cup this season, I think they might have boned themselves in the long-term, with no room to sign the role-players that every winning team needs.

11. Danny99

Exactly. Crosby can't carry this team, especially when he is being double teamed. Their goaltending is in disarray and again, this team will have two bottom lines of nobodies.

12. Sheep

13. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Pretty amazing to see the contracts being handed out today after we just witnessed all of those buyouts. Unbelievable.

14. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Savage Dragon

I was at the cottage and just found out about this. I'm really going to miss Alfie but if anyone has earned the right to chase the cup it's him.

16. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

So Kovalchuk pulled a typical Russian and has retired at age 30, completely screwing the Devils.

This is why you don't draft or sign Russians.

17. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Well there are exceptions... like Datsyuk.

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The Devils basically just got away with giving Kovalchuk a 3 / 23 deal, and all it cost them was one draft pick and $250,000 until 2024. And it's not like they were going to be Cup contenders in the next two years, anyway. This hardly "screws" them.

19. Danny99

All this proves is that the KHL cannot be ignored as a potential destination for Russian players. Who can blame them for not wanting to play close to their home?

20. Savage Dragon

Yeah, it must be hard to live so far from home for so long. I did it for three years when I lived in Romania but I wouldn't want to to do it for 15 or 20 years.