Spoilers TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, May 18, 2013.

?

Rate The Shocks of Adversity.

1. Outstanding

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

It's estimated that there are roughly 15,000 stars within 100 light-years. We now consider it likely that most stars have planetary systems. If Earth and the Federation had enough ships to visit an average of one new star system per week, it would take nearly 300 years just to visit them all even once. Exploring them all in-depth would take a lot longer.

So yes, it's quite likely that even in the 24th century, a lot of "nearby" space is still relatively unexplored or at least not routinely visited. And with 15,000 star systems, there's certainly room for a number of independent states to exist as enclaves within nominal Federation territory.

As I've said before, since space is mostly empty, it doesn't really make sense to think of an interstellar power's territory as a solid volume. More realistically, it would be the space immediately surrounding its member systems plus the regularly travelled/patrolled space lanes connecting them, more a tree or lattice structure than anything else. So different powers' territories could easily interpenetrate without really intersecting. Space is certainly roomy enough for it.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to wonder how the Federation would handle two autonomous systems within its borders going to war with each other and having the fighting spreading into Federation shipping lanes.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Again, if the Trek universe were remotely realistic about the scale of space, the odds would be immensely against that happening, since the volume of those spacelanes would take up an infinitesimal percentage of the volume of space and thus the odds of any accidental intersection would be equally infinitesimal. Realistically the only way any ship is likely to intersect with another ship or a populated area is if it intentionally approaches it. Now, that could draw combatants to a populated star system if they had use of its resources, but beyond such logical nexus points, there's vanishingly little chance of an accidental encounter in deep space.

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, but that is not the way the iterations of Star Trek has ever treated it. The Enterprises or Voyager were running into random ships all the time. They seemed to portray space as 2 dimensional, and very small, even when speaking of great distances.

Now Firefly.. they got the vast empty-ness of space right.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

...well, except for that scene in the pilot where they happen to run into the Reapers in the middle of said vast empty-ness. The commentary for that episode has a whole part where Joss talks about how dumb that scene is, in hindsight; it's pretty great.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Space is vast but if all races stick to the "warp highways" for travel then the odds go up significantly.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm not a big fan of TOS novels in general, and after 5 or 6 TOS novels in a row I have severe TOS-fatigue.

I still have to agree with this assessment so far. I'll confirm when I finish it...

8. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Since this will only be the Most Recent Trek Release for a couple more days, I wanted to just thank everyone who has rated and commented so positively on The Shocks of Adversity over the course of this past month. I'm thrilled and gratified for the reception this book has gotten, which has been well beyond my expectations.

9. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Then it might be a good moment to mention that the response here made me pick it up as well, as the only one of this year's 5YM books so far, because I'm not a big fan of TOS in general (not that I dislike it or that I can't appreciate it, and some of my favorite Trek books have even been TOS ones, I just don't tend to actively seek them out most of the time). I ended up voting "Outstanding" - it was a strong, well-flowing read, written well-enough to be thoroughly entertaining on its own merits, rather than just on the back of TOS tropes. If you write more Trek books in the future I'll likely pick them up based on that track record.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Credit where due - I will be looking forward to your next Star Trek novel !

:techman:

11. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I picked up DRG3's Allegiance in Exile, the first 5YM book i've bought in forever, based solely on his track record. I'll be doing the exact same thing with this book due to Mr. Leisner's previous two stories, Losing the Peace (Loved it!) and A Less Perfect Union, which i'm currently re-reading. Based on the reaction here, i'm sure i'll be picking up whatever William writes next as well. Keep up the great work dude :techman:

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally published my review!

A huge recommend from me. To my mind, The Shocks of Adversity is the top pick of Trek novels so far this year.

13. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Outstanding. Leisner is the real deal.

I read this while undertaking a re-read of the DC TOS comics of the '80's and '90's (DC Series I are my favorite Trek comics ever) and The Shocks of Adversity fits right in with the "feel" of that era. I would love to see this adapted as a 6-part story arc, with art by Sutton & Villagran.

14. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

My review is out here.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

A great book - as I've said, I'm not a big fan of 5 year mission novels and especially not as many coming together as they have this year, but there's been a couple of really good ones. This is one of them, and it really is good. The story is tight and absorbing, the characters well drawn and the result rewarding. This is about as good as TOS novels get.

I'd love to see the author with another 24th century commission...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  16. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Some of you all should go leave Amazon reviews. It isn't rated very highly at Amazon right now, but we all seem to love it.

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Done - on Amazon.co and Amazon.com !

18. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I just finished this one and really enjoyed it. Great plot, interesting characters, good pace. I look forward to future Star Trek books by this author.

19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After not reading one page of fiction for about a month, I started with this today and finished in two sittings. Easily the best TOS novel this year (and actually in quite some time.)

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Does anyone know what year this book is supposed to take place in?