Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How awesome would it be to have Peter Dinklage as the Doctor?

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

He'd have to run twice as far as the other Doctors! It would be way too stressful on his body.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my coworkers, who doesn't even watch Doctor Who, suggested that to me yesterday. He said it would get him watching the program.

I said that HBO has him signed to a long-term contract for Game of Thrones, and I'm pretty sure they're not going to let him out of it.

It will be interesting to see what happens when actor contracts run out if there's still a few more series to do. It's not like HBO could go out and find someone to replace Dinklage.

4. Chrono85

Yeah, that's the biggest thing working against it :) If they do one season for each book, then he's gonna be on that show for another four years at least, right? Anyway, there's always the 13th Doctor ;).

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Personally I want Dinklage to be Avon if/when they reboot Blakes 7...

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Holy shit, that's inspired! I would love to see Peter Dinklage as Avon. Too bad he'll be tied up as Tyrion Lannister for the next decade. :p

7. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Well, they do only shoot half the year. Are they remaking Blake's 7 and I missed it?

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If they didn't sign him to a 7 season deal...
    ...and if they didn't, it's called a big pile of money. Which is pretty par for the course...

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I'm pretty sure it went straight to 1st Season commission on SyFy, bypassing a mere Pilot commission.

Being on SyFy, instead of being a British Production, who knows how true it will be to the source material, though

10. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I am filled with equal parts excitement and dread!

11. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Indeed, I hope it remains faithful to the original as its one heck of a great premise.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So say we all...oh...oops, wrong show :alienblush: ;)

13. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Isn't he American though? The British fanbase would kick up a huge shitstorm if he was cast.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That seems a typical response to the news.

While I get the Avon, I could see him being a good Blake though maybe I'm thrown by the hair.

15. Chrono85

Some Americans protested at Batman, Spider-Man and Superman all being played by Brits, but people got over it, and now no-one cares. All that matters is the talent and dedication of the actor, and not where he is from :).

16. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And why do you think they had to find non-Americans to play those parts? (And so, so many others.) Because American actors are shit compared to those from the UK.

17. Chrono85

There is no need to be offensive and insulting toward nationalitites. We have Robert Downey Jr. playing Sherlock Holmes in the movies :). Do you think that American actors like Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, and Robert De Niro are not talented? British actors come to the states and aggressively pursue roles, and so they feature a lot in our TV and movies, and they tend to call for lower salaries, which contributes to their success here. It isn't because British actors are superior.

18. sttngfan1701d

I agree the part should go to whoever is best for it, but I absolutely believe that if an American was cast as The Doctor or James Bond for that matter, Brits would go apeshit. You absolutely wouldn't hear the end of it, from the tabloids on down, if Moffat and Co. announced tomorrow that the actor was chosen and it happened to be an American. The gnashing of teeth would be epic. There are already some Bristish fans saying that DW is trying too hard to cater to the American market as it is. An American doctor with a British accent would blow their minds. The apocalypse would be nigh. :lol:

For my part, I think the actor cast should be British but if I was in charge of it, I would cast my net as far as possible. The thing about British TV and film is that the acting pool is rather small, which is why ITV and BBC dramas have the same actors over and over. There's really nothing wrong with finding an American no-name actor who can do a flawless British accent if he happens to be a better fit than these other guys.

19. Chrono85

That may be true :) Perhaps American TV/Film viewers are generally more open minded about that sort of thing. Who knows, maybe British audiences will become warmer to the idea in the future. It should go to the actor best suited for the role, regardless of their national origin. Although, The Doctor is an alien from another planet, it would be strange to deviate from the British accent, because its so entrenched in the character :).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  20. sttngfan1701d

I remember years ago, before they cast Voldemort for Harry Potter, John Malkovich was heavily tipped to play him. Then JK Rowling came forward and said absolutely not, British actors only, please.

They are very protective of some of these roles, but we don't care if they play our Presidents or famous Americans. :lol: (Anthony Hopkins, Stephen Dillane, Daniel Day Lewis, Rufus Sewell, Tom Wilkinson, in addition to them playing Superman, Spider-Man, Batman...). I guess Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes broke the trend as you say.