A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And if he did die how do know he wouldn't pick someone else to finish the series. Just look at Wheel of Time, Brandon Sanderson took over and his books got better reviews than some of Robert Jordan's. Then we have Terry Pratchett already announcing that his daughter will take over Discworld when he can't write anymore.

2. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the other hand, Brian Herbert.

3. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very noble of you... given that there are people dying on this planet every second do you cry for all of them too?

It certainly sucks when people die but I can't bring myself to wallow in pity for all of them because dying is the inevitable sequel to living.

I don't know GRRM, all I know is his work. So yes, from my point of view the biggest impact on me would be his work being unfinished.

And FYI, his mortality is on his mind as well, he's given the show runners broad stroke info on how the story plays out in case he were to die.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Oh, someone is getting defensive. :lol: I'm not saying you have to cry for him but I am saying the fact that a man who is much loved by his fans and colleagues dying is much sadder than the fact that ASoIaF wouldn't be finished. But, hey, that's just me with my priorities straight. I care about people before fandom.

I am well aware that he gave the broad strokes to D&D but that was also because they need to know them so they know what to omit and what not to omit when making the show. And for that matter, Martin has repeatedly stated he finds it eerie that people are talking about and predicting his death. I can't blame him.

5. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I just got back in town and watched the trailer. That was great.

Was that an image of Theon/Reek in a hood?

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Most likely it is him. It's the same bag the Ironborn put over his head at the end of S2, I think.

7. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jaime Lannister's no-good very-bad day continues in that trailer. With his screaming face shown while Jorah talks about the beast that comes out when you puts a sword in a man's hand, and Catelyn telling Robb to hurt their enemies by taking away their loved ones, the trailer editors are just playing with us.

8. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rolleyes:

I wasn't getting defensive, I was getting offensive.

I found your statement about caring that "a person, y'know, died" as useless as "won't somebody think of the children!"

9. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Hope this doesn't cause the problems the old "Armageddon" posters did back in 1998.

11. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that clarifies how much of the Daenerys storyline they're doing in season three: Astapor and Yunkai, but not Meereen. Unless they're merging the cities in some way.

13. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just started reading A Clash of Kings for the first time last night, in preparation for watching Season 2 of GoT, which I just got a couple hours ago.

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I noticed when looking at the wikipedia page for Season 3 of GoT, that Shireen and her mother (who's name is escaping me ATM) are new characters. So does that mean that they skipped over the prolouge from ACoK?

17. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Eh, kinda. Elements of it are incorporated, but no, in S2, Shireen doesn't appear and Selyse only as a background extra standing next to Stannis.

Honestly, I'd recommend just focusing on reading the books for now and worry about how the show changes or adapts certain things when you get there. You may end up getting spoiled for both looking around Wikipedia and the like.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Wow, how loving. Also, why do you feel the need to get "offensive?" Seems like a pretty small thing to get bent out of shape over.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Selyse was mentioned a few times in S2, but we hadn't heard anything about Shireen.

In fact, one theory being presented is that since there hasn't been any casting for Edric Storm, they might change the plot of Melisandre wanting to sacrifice him into her trying to get Stannis to sacrifice Shireen to the Red God instead.

Of course, this will make Stannis not holding it against Davos for stopping the sacrifice a lot more reasonable.

20. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I like the extended trailer.

The ads with the dragon shadows are an interesting marketing technique.

I am excited to see the Reeds this year.