Couch surfing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by An Officer, Jan 28, 2009.

1. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just been browsing their site out of curiosity. Looks like an incredible system. Seems pretty cool that it's about a cultural exchange and making new friends, rather than merely a cheaper way to travel.

What do you think? Would you consider it as a way to travel? Do you know anyone who uses it?

I myself have only come across the idea in the last few days!

2. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

I have a friend who has hosted someone at least once that i know of. He said it was cool, but he's sort of a profound weirdo though, so it's hard to say what a normal would think about the whole situation.

I personally do not consider it as a way to travel, as I don't want to sleep on a couch, ever.

3. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

A work colleague does it. She hosted someone from Venuzuela, I think, and she's been all over the world. Sounds a fantastic idea - a bit like the house swap idea.

4. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

This would actually be kind of cool. Hosting it may not be too bad either if
    the people are checked out well. Would be a neat exchange I think.

5. Haytil

Haytil Captain Captain

I have friends who have done this, both as hosts and guests (primarily while traveling and living in Europe). I've heard nothing but good things (though some funny stories, too).

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

If I had my own apartment I would host it.
    If I had the free time to travel I would do it.

J.

7. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

That's where I'm at with this.
    I simply can't at the moment.
    But if I could I would.

8. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

They seem to have a thorough referencing system. At the end of the day, there's always some risk, but you can minimize that as much as possible.

As to the couch thing, many people seem to have spare rooms or mattresses, so it's not always literal! :lol:

I'm not sure I would ever do something like that, although having a local guide with similar interests could be handy in some circumstances, especially if you're traveling solo.