John Harrison was more interesting than (SPOILER)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Wormhole, Jun 3, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pretty sure the complaint is that Khan was poorly realised and underwhelming ;).

2. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Because there wasn't a 3 hour flashblack.

Yeah, sure.

Because Richardo can't be clone.

Yeah, sure.

Because a Hispanic actor wasn't cast.

Yeah, sure.

Bad Robot Trek is here stay. Making up stuff isn't going to bring back Prime Trek.

3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. Only the brig scene would have needed any significant change.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Admiral Marcus produces a platoon of genetically engineered super agents, and freezes them to keep control of their leader John Harrison as soon as he realizes that he loses grip of Harrison.

It doesn't take 72 minutes to rewrite that.

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm holding on to the possibility that in the next movie we find out that Harrison wasn't the real Khan. ;)

6. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was Khan. He just has plastic surgery.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the character being Khan makes the story much more interesting (so I can't fault the writers for that), but I could never quite buy Cumberbatch as Khan. I think the actor gave a good performance but somehow it didn't work for me as the Khan character. Maybe I will feel different on subsequent viewings but that's my initial impression.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I made a point of not reading any spoilers on STID before going to see it.

So I started off more or less enjoying it (glossing over the starship under water issue and blatant violation of the Prime Directive by letting the primitive species survive). When they started building up John Harrison, I liked the idea of a S31 operative gone rogue, with shedloads of advanced and classified technology at his disposal and trying to work out what his plan was.

Then came the reveal. I actually let slip an anguished groan in the cinema. From that point on the film dropped, then when they start reading the script for TWOK it plummetted.

I don't mind the concept of rebooting Trek, but make it a clean reboot rather than just rehashing old plots. What's Star Trek 13 going to be? A retelling of "The Naked Time"--this time with more flesh on screen?

9. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

"Introducing Shah Rukh Khan as KHAN"? ;)

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These JJ Abrams cheerleaders sure are articulate.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

John Cho is long overdue for some shirtless fencing.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just as articulate as "this isn't Star Trek because Spock runs funny". :rolleyes:

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"I'm the perfect choice! My name is actually Khan!!!"

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You know perfectly well that you should push the Notify Moderator button ( [​IMG] ) or PM one of the forum mods if there's a post which you believe requires attention. I know that you know this because I personally have explained it to you before. What's more, I've specifically asked you on more than one occasion to refrain from taking swipes at other posters in that manner.

This time it will earn you a warning. Comments to PM, please.

(And before you start, consider that you are responsible for what you post—you've heard that from me before, as well—and that there was nothing preventing you from simply scrolling by without replying. One does not feed posts like that; at any rate, one is not supposed to.)​

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't get the point of Harrison being just another augment, considering at that point its just another Khan expy and those are worth a dime a dozen.

I'd rather have the original than another watered down copy. Especially since non Khan augments are usually have some story mentioned comparison to Khan anyway when they show up.

16. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

This.

Khan made the character important, also the name "John Harrison" is hella lame. It doesn't roll off the tongue as it should.

17. JarodRussell

All new villains are unimportant unless they are Khan?

18. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

If one is simplistic I suppose one can take that from that but what I meant was that in frame of this movie, fans would've expected Khan. Anybody else would've gotten the cries of "Copycat!" and the like. Even you must agree to that argument.

19. JarodRussell

I expected John Harrison, rogue secret agent with superior abilities. The film didn't need Khan and his 72 followers. It could have been John Harrison and his group of agents held captive by Admiral Marcus.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So we would have had a man with superior abilities, who is out for revenge against a Starfleet admiral and his followers who also have superior abilities who are in cryo-storage for the most part.

So this doesn't sound remotely similar to an already existing trek villain?