Good Urban Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Depends on what you mean, do you mean that vampires are the main focus of the series, or that vampires appear in the universe and in some of the stories? Dresden Files for instance has 3 different flavours of vampire and
    there is a war with vampires and they may be the focus of individual stories
    but for the most part that's just background detail. And as far as I know none of the ones I mentioned have vampires as their main focus either.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Another vote for WIZARD OF THE PIGEONS.

Which is totally vampire-free, btw!

3. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry. At least I got the last name right.:p A sequel? Can't wait.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^ Maybe your wires got crossed and you combined Peter Boyle with Steven Boyett?;)

5. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe. If I had wires. Which I don't. :shifty: Those rumors about me being an android? Totally fabricated. Totally. No, really, I mean it.:shifty:

6. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Honor Harrington, a new Mary Sue for a new age!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does anyone here know if the The Hollows, or Mercedes Thompson series are any good?

9. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

How did the author and editor(s) for the Dresden Files decide that exactly 23 books would be the perfect number for this series? That seems really odd to me. What a strange amount of novels to plan out for an arc that's barely halfway done. Don't tell me he saw the awful Jim Carrey Movie... :eek:

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Jim Butcher says he has it planned as 20 "case files" and "an apocalyptic trilogy" but that may change depending on if his kids go to college...

11. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been said, and on some level I have to agree, but for the most part, I don't really see Honor as a "Mary Sue" character when I'm reading her. She's got her faults, they just tend to be internalized.
    She's overly self-conscious, self-flagellating, vengeful, and has a dark killer instinct just itching to play "Jack-In-The-Box". Other than those qualities, I can see the comparison.

^Yeah, 23 is a guesstimate based on if his son goes to college, if grad school is in the works... possibly more. But ending the "Case Files" and following that into a Trilogy is the current plan of action.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  12. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I wonder how long it will be before Crusher notices this and thinks she's found the ULTIMATE thread? :lol:

14. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I gotta be honest, I don't think that most of my fantasies about Karl Urban are clean enough to be posted here. Plus, he's married and I'm not into poaching another woman's man.

But Mc Coy, on the other hand- hoo Lordy! Most of my fantasies involve him just getting out of the shower, with a towel around the bottom half of his body. I much prefer scruffy Mc Coy to the slicked down, duty hair cut he has to sport in uniform, so I love the idea of his hair being wet and all mussed up from the shower.

....scuse me, I need to be alone for a while. :whistle: