Maybe it's not a prequel or a reboot, but actually a sequel

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by multitrek, Aug 21, 2007.

1. multitrek

multitrek Lieutenant Red Shirt

To my knowledge, JJ Abrams never said it was a prequel or a reboot. He said he would respect canon.

What if it's not flashbacks we're talking about... what if Spock and crew just get young again in the 24th century for some reason... Starfleet needs it's best crew in history for some heavy mission... They even get a new Kirk out of dead Kirk's dna... No continuity problems there... No retro design conflicts... no actual reboot... no timeline limitations... No canon offenses... No absolute need to see old Shatner/Kirk... Could even include Shatner/Kirk with some explanation... Just new TOS adventures. This may seem far fethched... but so would have seemed Spock's rebirth on paper. New appearance of crewmembers could be explained by imprecisions in the genetic manipulations. New technique would restore or transfer old conscience, memories, experiences, soul.

We've seen similar clonage with Riker in TNG. Human conscience could be transfered in a robot in I Mudd, why not in a clone... Spock's conscience was even transfered in Trek 3...

And after that you can make new movies or series without the original TOS actors, without having to worry about connecting with Star Trek timeline at some point and without our knowledge that characters can't die because they'll show up in the 5 years mission in their future...

You can also be really futuristic... not retro futuristic...

Cloned TOS crew on the Enterprise NCC-1701-F or some other ship...

Ok... start throwing rocks at me. ;)

2. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Maybe it's not a prequel or a reboot, but actually a seq

Oh

my

GAWD. :wtf:

3. LegionMk59

LegionMk59 Ensign Newbie

I think if it is going to be different then a reboot or prequel the only thing that I think might work is that it is set in the Mirror Universe or in another parrallel universe which would leave it open for literally anything to occur and it would prevent the writers hands been tied when it comes to continuity..........However I do think this is a remote possibility.... I think it will be a rebooted prequel

4. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

What if it's both a prequel and a sequel.

5. Dradin

Dradin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No, no canon offenses. But offensive to anyyone who has more than half a brain cell left.

6. Joisey

Joisey Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ughh! Not only is this bad, it DOES violate canon: On screen, Riker immediately phasers into oblivion his own clone, with Dr. Polaski's moral blessings. So, apparently, it is canon in the Trek Universe that cloning is soooo morally repugnant, that clones can be offed on sight.

Not exactly the kind of society that is going to turn to clones to save the day, IMHO. I mean, what are they spending all that money on Star Fleet Academy, training new officers, if they're just going to keep reincarnating the same old crew to save the universe?

7. multitrek

Maybe Starfleet has the same kind of problem with new officers that we now have with new musical talent. I'd sure clone The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Elvis right now. :lol:

8. Joisey

Joisey Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While those groups certainly had merit on their own terms, it doesn't mean that everything that came after them wasn't worth listening to, either.

9. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

ugh.

somebody get me a rock.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Bring Back Kirk is that you???????????????????????

LOL

Seriously though, NO, NO, NO

11. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

here you go seigezunt a handsized rock :devil:
    Ups! my mistake, it wasent a rock it was a hand grenade :angel: sorry

12. multitrek

Ok...

Not the best idea I concur...

Just wanted to resolve all the possible paradoxes that may come with this movie. ;)

13. multitrek

By paradoxes I mean...

How come the bridge crew don't look the same they did (not the same actors)?
    Why is the bridge different (if it is)?
    Why does this bridge seem less advanced technologically than my home computer (if it is not different)?
    Why is the Enterprise different (if it is)?
    Why should we feel these people are in any danger? They'll eventually show up for the five year mission anyway...

Yes my idea stinks... but I'm not sure I like the paradoxes the alternative could bring either.

In my opinion, the best way to go would be CGI if they want to bring back younger Kirk and Spock. Remember that shelved game... Vulcan's fury or something. Imagine what could be done now. Star Trek Aurora is great by the way!

14. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want those two minutes of my life back.

*Summons Bahemut*
    Sik him!

15. Dradin

Dradin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's a movie. These problems are - frankly - no problems. You could ask just as well why there is orchestra music in space. There's something called suspension of disbelief: you just accept that it all couldn't really work together in this way, but you ignore this to experience a (hopefully) good story.

Trying to explain every technical difficulty somehow actually hurts the suspension of disbelief, because it constantly reminds you that "yes, something is wrong, but we explain it away in some convoluted way." It always ends up making even less sense.

16. Delta1

Delta1 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This idea isn't half bad. What it needs, though is a rationale--an impetus. Why is Starfleet cloning its late heroes? The answer presents itself:

Starfleet's enemies have made clones of their own!

The Romulans, or perhaps the Dominion, have acquired the genetic material of many of Starfleet's greatest enemies and recreated them to wage war on the UFP. We can have Kruge, Tolian Soran, and the Gorn captain, all working under the leadership of a reborn Khan. This legion swears it will be the doom of the Federation.

In response, Starfleet clones its greatest heroes, resurrecting that league which fought for justice so long ago. In addition to Kirk and Spock, they clone such luminaries as Uhura and Janice Rand, unleashing this powerhouse against the villains in a battle that will shake the stars to their very foundations.

17. PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan Commodore Commodore

it wont be a prequel, reboot or sequel...it will be a musical!

....actually JJ Abrams has stated that the film takes place in the TOS era

18. seigezunt

Ah, you beat me to it...

19. LegionMk59

LegionMk59 Ensign Newbie

NOOOOOOooooooooo!! I don't think I could handle another rendition of Bilbo Baggins by Leonard Nimoy :wtf:

20. seigezunt

yesss! you. must. click. the. link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HQ1K7YyQM

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: