Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by 22 Stars, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't it download-only on PC, in the US? If so, it won't be up for preorder here until closer to release (if at all).

2. Doherty

Doherty Lieutenant Red Shirt

hoping for a 2013 release..

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

April 23rd, 2013. :techman:

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm very excited about this one. In fact, I've bought a PS3 specifically to play it - this game is the 'Killer App' that persuaded me to finally take the plunge and buy the console. :)

5. ATimson

Why a PS3 and not a 360?

6. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Why not just use your PC?

7. ATimson

For me, because modern PC game licenses are indefensibly restrictive. I'll buy old games from GOG, and I'll buy Blizzard's games, but anything else is few and far between.

8. Lance

I don't like Microsoft. ;)

I still don't like Microsoft. :p

Honest answer? I wanted something that will play BD discs as well. Seeing as I didn't have a Blu Ray player yet, it seemed to me a sensible idea to kill two proverbial birds at the same time. :cool:

9. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You do know you can build or buy PCs with Blu-Ray drives, right? Besides, I wouldn't have bought a PS3 now, on the verge of new consoles launching. Most of the games on the platform can be found on other consoles, except for Japanese games that haven't been localized.

10. BillJ

1. Why would anyone want to be tied to their computer monitor to watch Blu-ray?

2. Now is probably the best time to buy a PS3/Xbox 360 (I have both and as far as gaming goes they're pretty much interchangeable). They both have a large library of cheaper games now. Biggest mistake I ever made was rushing out to buy them at launch.

11. bullethead

You do know that you can connect PCs to TVs using an HDMI cable, right?

Eh, most of those are multiplatform games anyway, so you could get them on PC cheaply too. I mean sure, now's the best time to buy them from a price perspective, but in terms of support and future catalog, it's pretty much a dead end (unless Japanese devs decide to keep working on the PS3 like they did with the PS2).

12. Lance

BillJ has nailed my reasons. :bolian: I've always traditionally bought my consoles near the ends of their life, because both console availability and choice of games (and price!) are all factors to me, and the PS3 is as cheap now as it will probably ever be. The only game consoles I've ever bought on day one were the PS2 and the original (non-360) Xbox, and only then because my personal circumstances were better at the time. I had a larger cash flow, so I went out and bought those on day one. I really don't mind being "behind the pack" when it comes to these things. ;)

13. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Lance, you made a great choice, the PS3 has proven to be a great multi media tool, used as a media server, bluray player and gaming system.

14. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Well, just most Japanese games in general. Even the localized ones tend to be PS3-only, since Japan can't into XBox.

Which is actually why I want a PS3. I primarily use my PC for gaming, but there's a lot of RPG's that I can't play, because Japan doesn't do PC's either :rofl:

Speaking of PC's and PS3's, could I hook a PS3 into my computer monitor, if it has an HDMI port and speakers (well, a headphone jack)?

15. ATimson

Probably. I've done that with mine. Unless your monitor is really cheap and does HDMI without HDCP support, you should be good to go.

16. BillJ

Hoping this game does well, as I'd like to get a new Trek game every year or so.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://news.yahoo.com/preview--new-...-official-bridge-between-films-035914361.html
    http://trekweb.com/articles/2013/01...-Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-MINOR-SPOILERS.shtml
    So much for remaining at all true to the Gorn of "Arena" - now they're merciless conquerors from another galaxy who get here through a wormhole??:wtf::cardie:
    Ugh.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean the ones that responded to a territorial invasion by just blowing up the outpost on the planet in question up without so much as a you have violated our space communication and then lured the Enterprise into the area and tricked some of its senior officers down to the planet to either capture or kill them, those Gorn? :)

19. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I agree with Hartzilla2007 on that. From my view, there's so little established about the species that I don't see any continuity harm. We know they're aggressive, slow on physical attacks and crafty enough to lure the Enterprise into a trap. But that's about it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  20. bullethead

Aside from the "conquered their own galaxy" thing, that's pretty accurate to the stuff seen on the screen. The fact that it ignores whatever Trek Lit has established doesn't bother me.