"Then this'll be your big chance to get away from it all."

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Arpy, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk's line from TWOK. His other one when he cut short his inspection of the ship and mouthed the word "later" too: these sound like tag lines for ads in commercials or something. Were these jokes from the popular culture outside Trek at the time?

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first one, "a chance to get away from it all" is just an old expression. I don't remember it, or the other one being from any comercial or being a buzz phrase of the time.

3. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People still use that expression all the time (in the US anyway).

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't see how either of these things would have anything to do with pop culture. They're just expressions.

5. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    "Get away from it all" is an expression that's been around for many decades. It inspired a fanspeak term: "GAFIATE" (verb) - to Get Away From It All - to leave fandom, either temporarily or permanently. Somebody wrote a filk song about it (I can only remember the chorus).

6. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually I do recall “This’ll be your big chance to get away from it all” being used in a TV commercial for an upcoming broadcast of the movie. Funny how it stuck with me all these years.

7. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    God knows McCoy needs to get away from it all throughout his lifetime. He always practically seems on the brink of a nervous breakdown. That guy deserves a vacation that doesn't get interrupted. Case in point: The Final Frontier, I mean, let the guy eat his beans and whiskey in peace before he completely snaps!

8. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Look closer. He says "Let it go", as in "forget about it".