Any news on Cawley's Buck Rogers and Wild Wild West remakes?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dayxday1000, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Kickstarter does not work. Either you don't get enough pledges (as in this case) or money gets pledged, but when it comes time to collect then it fails. I have seen this happen to a couple start-up studios looking to film a pilot. Getting reliable sponsor and investors in these economic times is very very difficult.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The lucky ones.. :) It's always worth a shot though, just don't count on it.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Four out of ten. If I could get those odds out of the state lottery I'd feel silly calling it gambling.

It's like anything else - there's some luck involved, but ultimately you have to be offering something that people feel a strong desire to support beyond a momentary "that's cool" impulse and some lip service.

5. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Well, as the Buck Rogers' series has gotten a lot of chat here, I'm going to address the other part of the question.

Cawley Entertainment Company/Retro Film Studios LLC is going to start filming their first "Back to the Wild Wild West" episode from November 1-10, 2011. It will either be "The Night of the Golden Spike" or "The Night of the Bloody Terror". Final decision on that is still pending.....

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Honestly, while this in interesting, the relative "cheapness" of a show doesn't mean these sponsors are paying the producers to start up the series, which is what was being suggested for Buck Rogers Begins. It may happen, sure, but I'll bet said sponsors are generally backing producers with a proven track-record, not a group of fans who've made knock-offs of a TV show as a labor of love as opposed to a business.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Just curious did you guys try to use Kickstarter for Polaris?

8. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Truth be told, most of the syndicated shows are produced by Advertising agencies and PR firms, who have no track record at all with television production, and have reputations in advertising alone. They pitch the shows to their existing ad clients, and secure advertising agreements prior to doing anything else. Up-front advertising dollars often determines whether a pilot is ever made, let alone sets and the like. And in the early days of television, sponsors actually produced most of the programs aired, and paid for everything up front. It was the norm rather than the exception.

Granted, this doesn't necessarily have any application to the world of fan films, but I felt compelled to correct the notion of sponsors not paying for a production to be made, and instead only paying for a production after-the-fact.

9. Maurice

Well, thanks for that. I knew that was the case for many syndicated shows, but wasn't as aware of the predominance of it in daytime. I'm much more familiar with the production and budgeting models around evening dramas, studios, and and network TV.

10. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

11. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Hot damn, you necro'd this thread almost a year to the day of the last post. That takes skill, sir! :lol:

On topic:

It's not dead. Indefinite hold. Which sucks either way for the people looking forward to it. Given all the publicity they drummed up for themselves with this, with Gil Gerard and Erin Gray being in the trailer/tease, etc... you'd think they'd put out some kind of press release, but whatever. They don't owe us a damn thing, so I'm content to put my expectation on the shelf. If they make it/finish it, great. I'll watch it then. :)

EDIT: Cancel that. Just found this: http://deskofbrian.com/2011/05/gil-gerard-buck-rogers-reboot-is-dead/

Apparently though, there was an app for that (but no more), too: https://www.facebook.com/BuckRogersBeginsTheGame?fref=ts

Oh well. :shrug:

12. PattyW

No, not dead. Producers within RFS are still working on, well, producery things and it will come out of hibernation when they are ready to go again.

The fact that we released a licensed app for a iphone game should speak to the truth of that.

Gil's involvement was to play Buck's dad in the pilot. He did so...all his scenes are shot and the footage edited together. (It's being intercut with other footage not yet shot, so it can't be released or it won't make sense.) Without other involvement, he really is in no position to comment on the production, bless his helpful heart.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Well that's great news. I did do search for the app but couldn't find it. Has it been removed from iTunes officially?

14. PattyW

I'm not one of "those" producers, so I am not sure LOL It may have only been available for a limited time.

15. Maurice

In addition to the iPhone app no longer appearing in the App Store, it appears all the references to the project on imdb have vanished. The kickstarter for the project didn't go anywhere. Its message board has been dead as a doornail for over a year. None of that proves anything, but it's not encouraging.

16. PattyW

IMDb suspended the title because there's been no news articles written about it for a year....

...and, well, the stuff being worked on isn't for public knowledge until they get the ducks in place...so there is no changing that at the moment.

Someday there'll be an out of the blue announcement......

17. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Well, at least there's updated information now one way or the other...