THE CAPE | “Pilot” & “Tarot” (Jan. 9) *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jan 8, 2011.

?

Rate THE CAPE! (Don't Vote Till After The Episode Has Aired)

Poll closed Apr 8, 2011.
  1. ----------1x1 "Pilot"---------

6.3%
  2. Excellent!

10.4%
  3. Good

39.6%
  4. Average

18.8%
  5. Bad

10.4%
  6. Horrible!

8.3%
  7. ----------1x2 "Tarot"----------

4.2%
  8. Excellent!

4.2%
  9. Good

43.8%
  10. Average

14.6%
  11. Bad

8.3%
  12. Horrible!

14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

it took Bill and Ted 18 months to learn how to play guitar but this guy learns how to be a superhero in days, maybe hours...

His kid has ONE comic.

ONE comic.

That he reads over and over again, and when a paedophile shows up dressed as that comicbook character he's on the verse of having a psychotic break like that time Boone from Bones met Stewie from Family guy.

The kids slow right?

Now Parker Lewis's sister worshipping Thor, that made sense because she was 5.

Do you think Ben Aflek goes to Halloween parties dressed up as Daredevil?

Cape.

Fuck the "cape" you idiot, if you want to save the day get a gun.

Cheap rip off of the Hood anyway.

He just stumbles across Eyes on the docks? I mean: Orwell.

She's either the bad guys daughter, little sister or childbride sold to him by the Russian mob.

Stupid, stupid stupid.

2. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I liked some of the ideas, but Jesus the execution was utter shit. It was just so... rushed. They couldn't even do a decent montage of his training. Just... wow.

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

That was fucking awful. What braindead executive thought that was worthy of being put on air?

lol that anybody still thinks Vinny Jones could be an actor though.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cape makes Condorman look like Brians Song.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just watched the pilot, not sure I want to watch the 2nd episode because FUCKING HELL that was piss poor. It needed a 2 hour pilot not a rushed 42 minute opening episode though I doubt that would of saved it...

ZERO character development, massive pacing issues and the most poorly structured thing I've seen on TV in years. The training bit should be the most important part of the birth of the hero but was over so quickly with no answer given on how much time has passed and then all of a sudden were taking too the boat docks where he fights Vinnie Jones character...HOW THE FUCK did they know about the boat shipment ? Also I can't take the use of a cape seriously as a weapon.

The bit where he breaks out of the chains underwater GIVE me a fucking break :wtf: and the people who train him are criminals so why the fuck should I care about them ?

Also the smoke trick pisses me off because its such a fucking cheap CGI deux ex crap for the writers to use, that old guy goes from a chair to upstairs on the other side of the room in mere seconds, give me a break.

This show will tank.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe that was trying too hard to avoid becoming another Invasion/Caprica/SGU/etc. that may have taken too long to get off the ground?

7. Lunarflower

Lunarflower Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I saw the pilot at Comic-Con last year. It was something that was in that pilot, but cut out (though will probably show up later). Orwell is Peter Fleming aka Chess' daughter.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  8. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

The show was all over the map in terms of pace, tone and direction. And the pilot should have been two hours, it was really rushed to get it into an hour. All the stuff with illusions and hypnosis, the cape etc. is pretty silly, but I'll let that slide, every show gets a gimme gimmick.

But it has some ambition, it moves fasts, and I think it might be able to hit a nice stride as it keeps moving.

Oh, and Bear McCreary being cut loose to find his inner Danny Elfman was pretty good, at least he gets to compose some music for this, unlike the pretty much nothing he did for Walking Dead.

9. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Man, what a tough crowd. I'm sure glad the Adam West Batman series and the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series never debuted in today's era, otherwise we'd never have either to look back at fondly.

I found the first episode (I consider it a single 2-hour episode because that's how it aired in my part of the world) a great throwback to the older style of action hero shows. It was a little slow for the first 10 minutes - as is the case with most pilots these days - but it picked up pretty quickly. I immediately got a 1960s Batman vibe from the Circus of Crime group, and they were my favorite part of the show.

Well, until Orwell came along. Although the Oracle comparison is obvious from the start, Summer Glau's character steals the show, and of course we're left with a mystery as to who she really is and why she's able to do what she does. I'm guessing she's the bad guy's daughter, too. It makes sense, although she acts a bit too surprised to find her suspicions about him being confirmed. But, let's be realistic here, what other options might there be? Surely Orwell isn't some stranded alien or a time traveller. Or just some girl doing this because she's bored and can't find a boyfriend. I mean, to those calling the possibilities stupid, exactly what possibilities wouldn't be dumb on some level?

The only weak link I find in the series is with the wife and son. I get what they're trying to do here, but frankly they should be very much in the background, though the wife started to finally show some spark when she gets her law job (though I hope they continue to play with the stigma aspect a bit more). However, this show is about The Cape, Orwell his sidekick (who goes undercover and rescues him from scrapes while looking incredibly hot and keeping her own secrets) and Max and the circus (who can be seen in part 2 as falling into the "they have the Cape's back" category), and together the three are going after Kobra...er...the big bad. If they make it too complex than that, the show will become just another Heroes.

My first impression coming out of this initial pilot is this is what Heroes should have been like (and yeah, I remember the fact Heroes brought in a carnival). Hopefully it'll be able to maintain its concept long enough to tell at least a complete story arc before its cancelled. But with one website already calling V doomed after one episode and Fringe doomed before it even returns to TV, we're entrenched in such a "kill it while it's being born" mentality that I'm not surprised that the networks would rather fill their airwaves with American Idol and Extreme Makeover Home Edition than invest in shows that get pissed on so quickly.

Alex

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was alot of fun. Sure it wasn't it wasn't the deepest thing ever but I had a good time watching it and really, to me, that's all that matters. I really wonder what the hell people are expecting when something like this comes on the air, I mean come on it's not meant to be some deep philosophical examination of what it means to be human, it's about a pissed off dude using a cape to beat the crap out of criminals. That was what I was expecting, and that was exactly what I got. I really think when it comes to stuff like this people really need to learn to turn off their brains and go along for the ride.

11. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

BTW, both episodes are on again tonight starting at 9:00 EST if anyone missed it the first time or would like to watch it again.

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Watched it with my son yesterday, and other than some eye-rolling wincing at some truly badly paced scenes and logic issues--even for a comic-book inspired show--we enjoyed it enough to see what happens.

Hopefully it'll find the right balance of camp and pacing, and not end up another No Ordinary Family.

13. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: THE CAPE |

Well its no worse then watching the uber US Marshal on Chase.

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it does.
    He fights crime using a silk cape.
    Where's Liberace when you need him? :lol:

15. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Re: THE CAPE |

At least she's hot.

16. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WOW! Am I glad I read this thread. You guys just saved me some time. I had dvr’d this, but now I know I can skip it without missing anything.

I was watching Masterpiece Classic’s “Downton Abbey.” It’s in the “Upstairs Downstairs” vein--which I never watched when it was first on because I was too young to appreciate it.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Average, Bad

The first thing that's wrong with this show is that the premise makes no sense. Our hero will never be able to return to his family because his wife will KILL him for not telling her he's still alive. There's simply no justification for that. Does he think she can't keep a secret? He's endangering his family simply by running around as a vigilante. If he gets captured, does he think the bad guys won't recognize his face?

I can't watch a show that's written so sloppily. Even if they hadn't botched the lead actor casting with a completely nondescript actor, that would be enough to drive me away. I'm done.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

...and I forgot to mention the problem with the cape. There is no way to have a cape be the main weapon and it not come off as horribly unintentionally comic as it did.

19. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

What I liked best about the show was that it didn't ever take itself too seriously. It was far more entertaining than plenty of recent shows, including The Event, V, Flashforward -- heck, even Caprica. The Cape isn't exactly a good show, though, so unless it finds its footing rather quickly, it'll go the same route as the rebooted Knight Rider. But there was enough pulp in the first two hours to warrant following it for a while and seeing how it does.

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a fun show with a light touch. This isn't a gritty, hard-core action yarn, it isn't social commentary, and it isn't Masterpiece Theater, it's simple entertainment. Good guys vs. bad guys. I like all the characters, too.

I am wondering if the Carnies are worried about what The Cape will do after he's cleaned up Palm City's police force ... surely they're somewhere on Faraday's to-do list?

I'll ride this one out until its inevitable demise.