Medical Update--Possible Setback.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was going to wait until after my appointment with the surgeon yesterday to post...but I've been struggling through with a possible set back with my foot since the middle of May. I started noticing pain again. Mostly at first with my metal/fusion. Then it spread to the point where my ankle was affected. There have been days where I literally could not walk and basically have been stuck in bed. I have been using my cane again occasionally.

I had an appointment with my surgeon yesterday, but turned out he wasn't even there and had to deal with his students/interns. I had another x-ray done which was negative. This ruled out that my metal is fine and not the cause of my pain. They were just as baffled as I have been there. So they ordered a CT scan for three weeks time, and blood work in order to rule out possible infection.

They speculated that it could be a couple of things...possible ruptured tendon...but I'm not really showing the symptoms or having the reaction for that, and the other possibility was extreme arthritis near my fusion. Otherwise as I said, they really don't know what the problem could be. It has been constant pain since mid-May. As some of you know, due to my most recent report a couple months ago I was finally doing very well...I would daresay the best I've been doing since the surgeries. So now I'm back in flux and waiting. No one has been able to give me answers, so we're going through the process to try and find some. To say that this has been frustration, would be an understatement. I have come to know my body really well, and usually know what is causing something, but in this case, I've no clue. Neither does anyone else right now apparently. So here's hoping.

2. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so sorry to hear this, Admiral Young. I agree, setbacks after we think a serious medical problem has been solved are way beyond frustrating. As are unknowns. :( Hugs and best wishes to you.

3. Admiral_Young

Thanks Tora. Yes. The most frustrating thing about this current incident, is that no one seems to know what is wrong, or what is causing the pain. Normally there has been an obvious cause. Not so this time.

4. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry to hear this Admiral Young, best wishes, hope things improve and they get answers for you soon

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Crap. :( Sorry to hear that. When are you expecting the results of the blood work? An infection would be fairly good news, since it should be easy enough to treat.

6. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dang!

Keep us updated and I hope that whatever the problem is, it can be fixed soon.

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Agreed. * hugs * :)

8. Admiral_Young

@RJD I haven't a clue when I'll even be doing the blood work yet. All I know so far is that they want a CT scan done first and I'll have to wait for that. They stated it should be booked no later than three weeks. I assume that the blood work will be done around the same time.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  9. RJDiogenes

Three weeks? That's crazy. They should have taken the blood when you were in the office. I can see waiting for a non-urgent CAT scan, but not blood work.

10. Admiral_Young

I was actually at the hospital...so yeah I actually was wondering why they didn't order the blood work while I was there, but I guess both will be done at the same time. It's also possible that this could improve over the next three weeks...but unlikely since it will be two months next week that this first started and there really hasn't been any change.

We're in the middle of a minor heatwave in Vancouver at the moment...so ironically the heat has helped a bit. I am able to walk a little, and the heat has loosened up the joints sort to speak, but of course it's also caused massive inflammation as well. I've been icing it constantly. It will be interesting to see what happens when it starts to cool down again.

11. Admiral_Young

A quick update. I have my CT scan booked for July 24th. I'm really starting to think that this is arthritic based right now. It still hasn't changed. At least it hasn't gotten any worse either.

12. RJDiogenes

Good luck. Did they confirm the blood work, too?

13. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Good thoughts on the way.

14. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Dang, dude. I hope you are feeling better soon.

15. Admiral_Young

They didn't confirm the blood work. I am actually going to phone the office on Monday in order to find out about that. Perhaps they'll do both when I'm there, but otherwise this is been the weird part.

16. RJDiogenes

^^ Good idea. It wouldn't be the first time a doctor's office overlooked something vital.

17. Admiral_Young

Had the CT Scan yesterday. Will be doing the bloodwork in the next week or so. Have no idea when they will book the follow up appointment though. I'm guessing not until the first couple weeks of August. Meanwhile no change in pain.

18. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hope this all gets resolved soon buddy, try to stay positive.

Just remember, when you are sick, don't get depressed as then you will have two problems, you are sick AND depressed.

positive thoughts!

19. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Best of luck!!

And keep prodding them, it sounds like they're as slow as mollasses! They should've had the blood tests done weeks ago! Be your own advocate! :)

Mr Awe

20. RJDiogenes

Yeah, they sure know how to take their time. I can understand prioritizing HTR, but the blood work really should have been done at the last visit.